Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck has been sitting, garaged for 3 or 4 months with clutch “sticking” Everything else was running fine. Would periodically start and run the truck at idle without moving it. Everything fine. Finally got time at the transmission shop to get the clutch replaced. Started it up, clutch pedal stuck to the floor. Pushed it out and had it towed. Clutch done. Truck started up and oil light comes on and stays on. Plenty of oil on the dip stick. There was an abnormal loud rattling sound (lifters sticking?) Truck shifts through the gears fine but feel a loss of power, especially 5th gear. Various threads here suggest the following: change the oil, loss of oil pump prime, pickup issue in the pan. Any other thoughts/ suggestions. Correlation btwn the clutch job and the oil light seems highly unlikely but could it be more than just a coincidence?

· Premium Member
1,806 Posts
Loud Rattling BAD, 'Oil Light' means NO Oil Pressure. Every second you are running it, it is accelerating wear on components, and will not take long to destroy them entirely. From your description ("truck shifts through the gears fine but feel a loss of power ") does that mean you have been driving it with the oil light on? If so the engine is likley done, and will need a rebuild..

Could very well be loss of oil pump prime if it sits a bit, or was started with the oil pick-up uncovered. I've heard this being an issue, but never experienced it myself. You can remove the oil pump and pack it with petroleum jelly or an engine build grease, but suggest you confirm you can build Oil Pressure before actually starting the engine again. This, assuming you have not been driving it with the oil light on.

I would highly doubt there is any correlation to the Clutch issue. Whether there is any relation to the work performed by the shop replacing the clutch may or may not be a different story..

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I had the same problem and mine was the pressure valve in the oil pump housing sticking. I took it all apart added a new plunger, after cleaning it real well, and pressure came back. wouldn't be bad to check the oil strainer in the sump also. (as mentioned above)

· Premium Member
12,179 Posts
Had the same issue with a Disco V8.
Took the oil pan off and cleaned out the oil pump pickup and the problem was solved.

· Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drive was just an around the cornor and back.

I started the truck again tonight and the oil light turned off after start and the rattling noise was gone. Drove it around the neighborhood and power was back to what I normally would expect (at least through the first three gears). I am gonna go ahead and drop the pan and clean it and the pickup. I assume I need to order a new sump gasket when I reinstall it?

· Registered
2004 Discovery 2
3 Posts
In this case, what we see most often is a sticky pressure relief valve. Take the oil pump off and make sure the plunger is moving freely when you tip the oil pump back and forth. If not, take some emory sand paper and run it through the plunger galley and the plunger moves freely.

· Premium Member
689 Posts
You could dump 2 qts of ATF in the oil and run the engine till it's up to running temp.
Shut it off and dump the oil and filter while it's hot and you will most likely get all the old schmegma out of it.
Fill with new dinosaur juice and filter of your choice and call it a day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts