Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
'94 D90 POE #1500, '97 ST #23
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After researching the options available to us for restoring/refreshing our '94 POE that we've had since '07, I decided to go with a shop right in Elkhart Lake, WI, called Wolf Motorsports (wolfmotorsport.com). They are mainly a vintage racing prep shop and track support team so they do a lot of high-end work on everything from Sports 2000 to Indy Lights to a multimillion dollar Alfa Romeo Tipo 33/3. Since many of the cars are so old, they need to fabricate some of the parts for them because they are...say it with me...NLA.

Anyway, since the resto process can be so expensive, we decided to attack it from the bottom up. I've posted a bunch of pictures and I'll try to stay up to day with the process. It all started with the frame because it is twisted from multiple hits whilst in previous owners control. It started life in MA and has lived all along the east coast, and we've driven it summer and winter here in WI so the rust has fulfilled its nefarious role with aplomb.

I figured that while the frame is off and it's all apart, this is the time to do everything that is easy and relatively inexpensive to do now. In the end, I want the truck to look like it has 140,000 miles on it, but I also want it to be mechanically bulletproof, or as close to it as a Rover can get and still appear to be in its generally original form. The original engine and transfer case were rebuilt locally a few years ago, and the gearbox was rebuilt by Rob at Southwest Rovers so they are good to go for many years. In addition to the Rovers North galvy frame, the work that is being done now will be springs, shocks, stainless fuel and brake lines, all new bushings, rebuild the open diffs, fix the bulkhead and floor rust, replace battery box, and other general items and repairs.

Next year, we'll probably do some interior work, but it will end up looking as close to stock as we can get it.

Here she is before the refresh. I busted a tie rod at Road America while building an off-road course for a big media event there last spring. We had to get one of the off-road forklifts to get it off of the rock pile and bring it down to one of the maintenance sheds so I could fix it inside.

Here are some pics of the ongoing work that we're in the midst of now.
It's kind of hard to tell, but if you look closely, you can see the twist.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Awesome. Are the front and rear portions of the galvi chassis painted black? I kind of like that (but also like it when the galvi shows).

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Are the front and rear portions of the galvi chassis painted black? I kind of like that (but also like it when the galvi shows).
Yeah, they are painted. I like that look too on trucks that came that way. We'd like this one to look as original as possible. We were kind of laughing about it yesterday because I'm spending all this money, and you won't be able to see all the work that was done.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts