Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got into an accident on Friday and need to have my frame checked. The body shop’s frame equipment doesn’t show anything for a defender. I thought there was a schematic with measurements in the workshop manual but I looked and don’t see it. Can they just use the same measurements as a Discovery? If not, can anyone point me to where I might get the specs? Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,659 Posts
Fyi should be replacing your frame not stretching it if you weren't at fault . See the other thread .

·
Premium Member
15,305 Posts
New frame. Even if you have to fork over a couple bucks, get a new frame.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope all is good!

As a side...Geez, it’s really going around this week! What happened?
This falls in the category of "you gotta be kidding me"! The short version... I ran into the back of an SUV that had stopped dead in the middle of the highway. The long version... was driving on the freeway south of Pittsburgh in a construction zone so we had jersey barriers on the right side and intermittent guardrails/barriers on the left. Line of tractor trailers barreling down the road in the right lane... me and the other guy in the left lane with me about 80 feet behind him and no one in front of him. We were just about to cross over an underpass with concrete barriers on the right and left and the road bearing to the left, There was heavy traffic and we were all traveling around 55mph when the guy in front of me runs over a moving pad! You know, heavy, quilted 6x6 blanket... like what the movers wrap around your refrigerator when they are gonna move it. This thing flies up in front of me at about eye level. At the exact moment that my eyes come up to see what the hell is popping up in front of me, a tractor trailer on the other guy's right side swerves into the left lane causing him to make a split second decision... plow head-long into the beginning of a concrete barrier, get smashed by the semi or stop dead in the middle of the highway. He chose the latter. By the time the moving blanket clears my field of view, I'm 25 feet from him. I stomped on the brakes but still nailed the back of his SUV. We proceed about 100 yards to the next possible spot to pull over. Coolant is dumping out the front of my truck and his tailgate is pretty mashed. Amazingly, I have no broken lights, the engine starts and the ARB bumper looks relatively unscathed. I had it towed to a trusted body shop and want them to check to make sure the frame is still square. The guy at the shop told me the truck essentially flexed on impact. When it did, the fan punctured the rad causing the leak. My high-lift jack dented the top of the passenger wing even though after the impact, it was 6 inches away from that dent. Doors don't close properly now. I suspect that it simply needs a little realignment. Absolutely the best outcome. If one of those big ass construction dump trucks was behind me, it would have been all over. Me and the other guy both walked away without a scratch.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New frame. Even if you have to fork over a couple bucks, get a new frame.
Funny thing, I put in a new galvanized chassis when I rebuilt the truck 5 years ago. One of the best things I did.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Ah that's sad. I hope your frame is in good shape. I hope the other driver and their vehicle is in good shape too. That's how it works here too. If you rear-end someone else you are always at fault regardless of the circumstances. Most ridiculous accident I've been involved with was when I was younger and I was trying to make a left turn out from a residential road onto a main road that was backed up with traffic. The road was two lane with a median lane for turns. A city bus left room for me to turn and the driver motioned me to turn. I trusted their judgement so I proceeded and just as I was going past the bus a driver in an SUV hit the side of my car that was driving down the median lane. They were trying to bypass the traffic to get to the turn lane at the next intersection. It didn't matter that it was illegal for them to be traveling that distance in the median lane. I was still at fault. I learned to never trust another driver's judgement after that and always make sure I can see myself. I also make sure I never travel in median lanes so I don't do what that SUV driver did. They are for turning only. Stop and wait for an opening. Also keep the steering wheel straight ahead in case someone hits you from behind so that you don't get pushed out into oncoming traffic. Never use them as merging lanes or shortcuts. :)

·
Premium Member
15,305 Posts
In that case, I would not mind a little pull or fix on the frame. It won’t rot given the rest of the frame is galvanized.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
That's true. Plenty of Defenders have replacement crossmembers, outriggers, etc. New frames are nice, but if you think about it they are just steel and they are welded together to begin with. If a new frame required it being totaled with a salvage title I would definitely pick a crossmember repair over full replacement. I repaired my frame instead of replacing it to save costs since the restoration is so expensive, but I figure I can replace it later if I want to. That's what's nice about Defenders is that you can always continue to work on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts