Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm very interested in doing an LED conversion on my 1994 NAS D90 ST. If at all possible, I'd love to keep the integrity of design, square lights. I googled and searched this forum up and down and found nothing. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
search rubbolite here and you should find your answer. For 1994 style there are only 24 volt variants (which won't work) if you're looking for large units to replace your current square ones. You can always go with a single-LED-bulb to replace your current one in each square, but that's probably not what you're looking for ideally.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
As others have said, just replace with high output WHITE LED bulbs and put back the square covers. White gives the best output. Don't buy the hype about using colored bulbs, they're poorly visible and one thing a defender needs at night is visibility.

The square ones in the US don't give enough output and are too small for the space. Not worth wasting a dime on IMO. Any other option is just way too pricey and not available in the US.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I've found the best source to be superbrightleds.com. Check this out https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1156-can-bus-led-bulb-26-smd-led-tower-ba15s-retrofit-car/1326/ A bit pricey but the light output, essentially permanent, and plug n play, made it worth it IMO. I got for all lights except the side marker lights. The car finder worked pretty well.
It looks like the brake, turn, and reverse light is same bulb, right? I've never opened them to see.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I think you'll need way more than what comes in that "set", and I think the 1156 are the best bulb for every application (except the markers as I've said above), so to make it more apples to apples, price it out using mostly 1156s, the side marker bulbs (I think license plate are the same), shipping, and then reliable US based supplier vs. "not answering". IDK, check around here first. Maybe superbrights don't have the best price now, but they seemed to be the best/most reliable US based guys when I bought last year. Ebay has a bunch of cheaper guys but not knowing shite at the time I needed a seller who would work with my ignorance.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Russell and Matt

Yes and Yes

Get the highest lum (which is why they are a bit pricy, but they'll blow away the crappy LR incandescent), and they just plug and play. Don't forget, the benefit of our older vehicles is there's less electrical **** to be tripped up. I did not need any resistors or receive the rapid flashing error.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Russell and Matt

Yes and Yes

Get the highest lum (which is why they are a bit pricy, but they'll blow away the crappy LR incandescent), and they just plug and play. Don't forget, the benefit of our older vehicles is there's less electrical **** to be tripped up. I did not need any resistors or receive the rapid flashing error.
Thanks for the info. You have any pics? Not that it makes a big difference, as I will be replacing mine anyway.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.