Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
you'll be happier that way. Hopefully there is inventory - ran into issues ordering a tub yesterday. Inventory and knowledge of when it will be filled is low or zero. COVID and Brexit and, and,....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious can roof and headliner come off in one piece??? Looks like it going to be in my garage for a few days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you'll be happier that way. Hopefully there is inventory - ran into issues ordering a tub yesterday. Inventory and knowledge of when it will be filled is low or zero. COVID and Brexit and, and,....
Strange times....

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
If Mike from Quebec has been thru it, it should run well. He would probably know the history of it. Mike from The shop on the green shrowd sticker.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Curious can roof and headliner come off in one piece??? Looks like it going to be in my garage for a few days.
From my experience, no. Top and side panels do come off as one though. Have fun, I repaired my bulkhead but wish in hind sight that i replaced it, both have their pros and cons. if you replace it, gives you a chance to fix OTHER issues that are definitely lurking in there. You will find mucho rust everywhere. British steel is like fine swiss cheese, good for a few days and full of holes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if i remember the YouTube videos for that truck mike made it run super strong, and the Trans and Diff and everything should be really reliable for a long time, if you contact him he can give you a full report of everything he did. but your going to be hard pressed to find anything on that truck that comes from a catalogue. everything your going to need will need to be sourced from its individual components. you wont be able to trust things like LRDIRECT or LRWORKSHOP when the part number says "Up to TA00000" because your engine and trans and everything else came from random place. but good luck to you

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if i remember the YouTube videos for that truck mike made it run super strong, and the Trans and Diff and everything should be really reliable for a long time, if you contact him he can give you a full report of everything he did. but your going to be hard pressed to find anything on that truck that comes from a catalogue. everything your going to need will need to be sourced from its individual components. you wont be able to trust things like LRDIRECT or LRWORKSHOP when the part number says "Up to TA00000" because your engine and trans and everything else came from random place. but good luck to you
Mike went over the truck and really has been a huge help. I also have a couple Series mechanics in town. I fear that might have pushed Mike into "retirement" with the "features" but its been great so far! It ran really well through the winter even through fairly low temps...I am pulling the panels and bulkhead to get better sense of the chassis. Then with some luck chassis and various other bits to galvanizing + soda blast/restore the remaining bits. I am concerned about the disco 200 TDI + R380 related to the geometry of the chassis and mounts but should have a better sense soon enough. Most likely adding a roll cage as the rig is a family vehicle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cool, careful with soda blasting. usually it never gets neutralized 100 percent and will show up later when paint peals and bubbles. extremely hard to get rid of it. walnut and dry ice is your friend, no heat or distortion. hell I sandblasted my roof to get the crazy paint that was on there with coal slag and it came out just fine for my epoxy base primer.

"Most of the guys spewing their soda business have no idea what they are talking about or doing, I agree. I'm actually re-doing a 1971 Charger after a shop in the next state sodablasted it, blew it off and primed it. Was a candy orange job..guy took it to his first show and the paint started bubbling off the hood. Talk about sick...he probably has 30-40k just invested in the motor and suspension work on this thing. Even though we have had nothing but success using soda, it is almost worth not recommending it to anyone considering the failure rate of bozos not doing the propper prep"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool, careful with soda blasting. usually it never gets neutralized 100 percent and will show up later when paint peals and bubbles. extremely hard to get rid of it. walnut and dry ice is your friend, no heat or distortion. hell I sandblasted my roof to get the crazy paint that was on there with coal slag and it came out just fine for my epoxy base primer.

"Most of the guys spewing their soda business have no idea what they are talking about or doing, I agree. I'm actually re-doing a 1971 Charger after a shop in the next state sodablasted it, blew it off and primed it. Was a candy orange job..guy took it to his first show and the paint started bubbling off the hood. Talk about sick...he probably has 30-40k just invested in the motor and suspension work on this thing. Even though we have had nothing but success using soda, it is almost worth not recommending it to anyone considering the failure rate of bozos not doing the propper prep"
Thoughts on glass bead?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts