Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently taken most of my defender apart for a partial restoration
Pics can be seen on this page: Login • Instagram
New doors, seals, getting rid of rust and repainting the car in/out....I won't be using it offroad anymore....

I've seen youtube/instagram post on how much of a difference soundproofing made to those trucks....

Have you soundproofed your Defender?
If yes -- Would you recommend it? Product used?
If no -- Why?

I'd love to know the Pros/Cons before I make up my mind.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond!

·
Premium Member
10,449 Posts
No.
Why? It's a waste of time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
That tar-based stuff is garbage and will forever haunt you. It has it’s place in small strategic locations but not an entire interior or bulkhead. You’re better off getting something with utility like, a sound deadening mat system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
A couple pieces of Dynamat in each door will give you a more satisfying "thud" when you close the doors. Not going to do a ton for road noise though.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I've used assorted products in my 90 to sound proof it. It works but I hate it every time I have to work on something that involves dealing with it being in my way like when I pull the floor and transmission tunnel etc... I would only do it again if it was to be my daily driver and not my fun truck and even then I'd limit it to the roof and doors. I hate having it on/around the floor and seat base.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I used similar dynamat on front floor, tunnel and various areas to block the sound and heat. Very happy with it. A spray sound and heat barrier like lizard skin eliminates concern about holding water..

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you go to Lucari (LRI solutions I think now?) they have a mat system made of Hardura that is a great compromise of utility and sound insulation without having to apply anything permanently to the metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts