Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What TDI engines would have been installed in an 89 Defender 90? I have found one at a good price with low miles but it doesnt look like a 200 or 300TDI. I would like to update the 2.5 NA in mine now but want to be sure it is a good choice.

What other TDI engines did LR use in the Defenders?

THanks in advance!

Terry

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would the 19J with Turbo be a good upgrade?

Would the 19J with Turbo be a good upgrade for my 2.5 NA. Does anyone know if any of the 2.5 NA parts, such as alternator, ps pump, and other accessories swap over?

My 2.5 NA came with an LT 85 gearbox. Will it bolt up to the LT85? How about engine mounts?

I was planning to go with a 200TDI at some point but if this is simpler option and still a good upgrade, I may just do that, a 19J Turbo.

Thanks again?

Terry

·
Registered
133 Posts
They say that the 2.5 TD is not a specially good engine and not much more power than the 2.5 NA. I never owned one so I'm not talking of personal experience.

There is one on sale on eBay right now that has only 15K miles and looks factory new. If you feel like going for one

200 or 300tdi are the way to go. Very robust and nice power jump comparing to NA

·
Premium Member
5,394 Posts
Plenty of guys here are pulling their 19J motors out for a TDi replacement. I wouldn't waste my time swapping one in but for a few hundred dollars I'm sure somebody here would be happy to sell you their discards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts