Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine in my recently imported 90 (19j) is bad, and am looking at options. I will be doing this swap myself.

I don't think think I will keep this truck long term as I think a 110 with A/C will be my long term goal. I am looking to replace the engine and then drive it for a year or so before I sell it and then look for a 93/94 truck in a few years with A/C when they are importable.

I have been doing research the past few weeks...

Local used 19j with 100k miles and unknown history: $1500

Used 200TDI (two dealers in Georgia offer them, both have mixed reputations here but seem decent over email) $4500-$6000 including radiator and inter cooler. Defender version.

3.9 or 4.0 gas (haven't seen any for sale)

4.6 gas swap? Local shop charges $14k for engine and conversion. Haven't seen any engines for sale and not sure about how easy the swap is.

LS Gen 4 V8 Gas Swap $5000ish for used motor/trans plus $5-7k for extra parts needed for swap.

Will a 200 TDI increase the value of my truck 4-5k? I've never seen a LS swap truck for sale so I have no idea what it would do to the price. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Used 200TDI (two dealers in Georgia offer them, both have mixed reputations here but seem decent over email) $4500-$6000 including radiator and inter cooler. Defender version..

I don't know which ones you are talking about(but could venture a guess) but would encourage you to do a bunch more research. Making promises over email is not the same thing as delivering.

Don't get burned like so many before you.

·
Premium Member
15,222 Posts
$1,500 sounds like a ton for a 19J
Yes, agreed.

If you are just looking to sell on, I would think you could find a defender 200tdi for less than $5000. A 2.5 N/A or cheaper than $1500 TD is the cheap way out.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know which ones you are talking about(but could venture a guess) but would encourage you to do a bunch more research. Making promises over email is not the same thing as delivering.

Don't get burned like so many before you.
Is there a go-to 200TDI source that people trust here?

·
Super Moderator
13,096 Posts
What is bad with the current engine? $5000 on a TDI buys a whole lot of fixing!

·
Premium Member
7,755 Posts
Obviously doing a swap yourself is the economical way to go, but don't discount the value of your time too much. Only HGTV is allowed to forget to included labor and opportunity costs in their total investment. If your a single guy with no life then that's different than a guy with a young family and other responsibilities. At the end of the day these are 20 year old engines, right? There seems to be little rhyme or reason for some of these tdi shitting the bed. What condition they are in pre-swap is a real tough call unless you the proper due diligence, either yourself or through the trust of others. I'm hopefully in the finishing stage of a swap that has been painfully long. Primarily because I bought a disco TDI which brings some of its own unique challenges and I lack experience, skills or time to do it any quicker. It's been a great learning experience though and if I do it again I'll be able to put a plan together and execute more effectively. Good luck bro!

·
Premium Member
10,356 Posts
I have an OM617 conversion kit to the Mercedes 5 cylinder turbo diesel and 1 turn key 4JB1-T 2.8 TD complete setup and 1 Iveco 2.8 TD setup (same engine as Land Rover Santana PS-10) with engine if you want to PM for details.
There are threads here showing these conversions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts