Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - I just don't think I'm going to have the time to put into this thing what it deserves. Solid truck, runs great, had it less than a year - there's about 14x,xxx miles on the meter. Putting a new timing belt w/ pulleys on it in the next couple days. LT77 on a 1.222 LT230. New A/C. Only asking what I paid - $18,000.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Fbnc

I saw this rover in a parking lot a few months ago while at work. It looked like it was very solid rig. If I didn't just buy my 109 I would attempt to pick up this one.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ncrover - thanks, man. you driving your 109 around post??

specops - it definitely beats the previous flat NATO green!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=130 <--- smoke gray.

did it myself... it was much more work than i thought it'd be going into it, but it turned out better than i thought it would. now that we're on the subject, though, you can still see some of the masking tape glue on the fender in the passenger's side photo (compare it to the driver's side photo). i'll get new photos up later today after i finish cleaning that crap off.

·
Premium Member
5,173 Posts
how, and to what extent, did you prep the body work? Did you brush on / use a HPLV gun? Did you prime and if so what with? Anything you'd have done differently?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
%#*%#*(@#!

just typed the write-up, pushed post... and found out d-90 had signed me out while i was typing. response lost forever. FML.

i'll rewrite it later this evening, Abrooks. apologies.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts

That is my green 109 with the roof rack. It's about to get a respray here in a bit. Are you going to post your rig on the rovers north site?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ncrover: you weren't parked in the lot on gruber and zabitosky the other day, were you? i may have actually spent some time under your truck, if it was that one... hah =D don't see many of them around, gotta stop and take a look when you do! also, hadn't thought of rovers north. i'm not a member there, but i'll get on it - couldn't hurt.

Abrooks, I owe you a write-up, and I owe updated photos to the thread. ran out of time tonight getting at the timing belt; putting it all back together tomorrow, and then i'll get all the sh!t posted that i said would be up tonight.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
That is my 109. I also crawled under yours. I will spread the word about your rover at work. I also posted your ad on the rovers north site for you.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright - got a few more photos posted. finally got the last of that glue taken off :clap

Abrooks, here's a brief paint job run down (take two):

as it started with a brushed on NATO green paint job, my goal was more "functional correction" than "complete overhaul" - so i didn't strip the body panels or take any of them apart to paint it. i just removed all the lights, the plastic headlight piece, the grille, the hood, the bumper, the vent covers, and then masked everything else off with tape and newspaper. i primed it with a coat of kilz and then brushed on two layers of the rustoleum. if i had to do it again i'd probably use a better primer, but it worked out great anyway. the rustoleum evened out really well as it dried, and has proven to be a pretty tough paint (if i were keeping the truck i'd use the same paint again for the complete, piece-by-stripped-piece overhaul). taping off was a bit of a hassle, but i suppose it always is - i ended up using really strong masking tape to keep it on (hence the aforementioned glue cleaning), but i've recently learned there's automotive-specific masking tape. that's probably worth looking into. also, applying the paint got a bit difficult later in the day during the summer - i had to do it in the morning hours before it got too hot and dried the paint too quickly. a garage that i could have painted in would have been nice. all in all it wasn't too crazy of a project and i'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for an effective way to cure a multi-hued defender ;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 90 Posts