Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a winch bumper design for the 8274. I want something with a stockish look that that complimented the lines of the truck and shape of the winch. It also has to be very functional. Everything is drawn in Sketchup to exact dimension.

Notes:

Top of bumper wings sit 1" below headlight bezels.
Bumper wing ends are 4"x3" which is the stock bumper dimension
Planning to build the center cradle out of 1/4" thick material and use 3/16" on the wings.

All feedback appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
how about receiver for high-lift jack?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
When you go to fabrication, don't forget that even though our trucks look boxy, they're not right angles. So you'll want to put a taper on the bumper pieces when they mount up against the cradle. Otherwise, if you mount the bumper ends to the cradle at a 90 degree angle, then it'll look like the bumper ends are separating from the front of the truck, as opposed to contouring the truck.

Maybe pre-drill holes for mounting a future a-bar so you can run lights up front?

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
I like the the idea aesthetically. Comments:

1. You are fitting the 8274 in front of the grill with no cutouts in the grill or grill frame. I did the same thing and that results in about 10" needed in front of the front of the grill frame, maybe 9" in front of the grill at minimum to clear the motor. Your image as rendered seems much smaller than 10" and therefore I think is a bit optimistic in terms of its compactness.

2. Based on your top view, the top and bottom surfaces of your bumper are going to be massive - much larger than rendered, more than 6 inches, just by estimation. That is a lot of metal.

3. The winch mount plate on an 8274 on your design is zero thickness, so count in that thickness. Also, you need to have an inch or slightly less between the winch motor and the grill and that doesn't seem to be rendered in the image.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Also, put a bottle opener on it for all that fancy craft beer swill you guys drink up there.

·
Premium Member
15,165 Posts
I think mimicking the stock bumper sides looks better than the angles and would be easier to build. Otherwise looks great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts