Defender Source Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Any comments on how these knockoff heaters are compare to the Webasto?

Any issues with build quality to use thus far?
I have continued to be very pleased with the heater. Only issue I have had was my own doing. I had a hose clamp that wasn't as tight as it should have been and it allowed air to be sucked into the fuel line. I replaced the hose clamp with a good one (I have mentioned that the clamps the kit comes with are garbage) and have had zero issues since.

If I have a regret, it might be that I would have preferred to get the 2KW vice the 5KW I bought. The real 2KW's are small enough that it would have fit in the bottom of by center cubby. The 5KW's are too long, which it why I ended up mounting it in the "tool box" cubby under the right hand front seat. You must be careful with the ordering of a 2KW. I have heard on the internet (which must make it true) that a good number of 2KW heaters are just re-stickered 5KW heaters and are the large size.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have continued to be very pleased with the heater. Only issue I have had was my own doing. I had a hose clamp that wasn't as tight as it should have been and it allowed air to be sucked into the fuel line. I replaced the hose clamp with a good one (I have mentioned that the clamps the kit comes with are garbage) and have had zero issues since.

If I have a regret, it might be that I would have preferred to get the 2KW vice the 5KW I bought. The real 2KW's are small enough that it would have fit in the bottom of by center cubby. The 5KW's are too long, which it why I ended up mounting it in the "tool box" cubby under the right hand front seat. You must be careful with the ordering of a 2KW. I have heard on the internet (which must make it true) that a good number of 2KW heaters are just re-stickered 5KW heaters and are the large size.
I just got my 5kw off Amazon, arrived in 2 days. Was planning on putting it under the passenger seat in the tool box.

My biggest concern is going to be getting heat to the driver's side.

I could do a 2kw unit in the center to get heat to both sides, but then would be concerned it wouldn't heat the back of the truck up enough, and I have 2 young ones...

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just letting you know that the pricing on these has plummeted. You can find a kit for $100-150 on ebay with shipping. I just picked up two ($140/ea in a well appointed kit)--the price went from $230 to 140. There are others that are cheaper, but this had what I wanted: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5KW-Diesel-Air-Parking-Heater-Air-Heating-LCD-Switch-Thermostat-W-Silencer/153196804598?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Interesting listing! The item is located in New Jersey, says that it ships worldwide in 4-7 business days (US in 3-5), then has the following exclusion list: Alaska/Hawaii, US Protectorates, APO/FPO, Africa, Central America and Caribbean, Europe, North America, Oceania, South America, Russian Federation, PO Box ...

So it sounds like you should be good to go as long as you live in Australia!! Let us know how if it arrives!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
Yeah, but put in your zip and hit get rates... it is free at least to CO. Thank goodness... it shipped FedX from CA— will be here Thurs. (even though it said item location was NJ)

·
Registered
43 Posts
INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

My all-in-one-heater arrived today (8 weeks later) and actually came with an installation booklet. I've taken photos and attached them for anyone who is missing instructions.

I'll give it a test run this weekend. I got the all in one unit so that I could "somewhat easily" move it between by truck and camping trailer as needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Instructions:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Aaron, thanks for the instructions.

I have a thread on here for aux heat on my Planar, but this one has more info on the Chineses unit. I just purchased 2.

Just to reiterate:
-Combustion air comes from OUTSIDE the truck.
-Ensure your fuel system setup does NOT allow heater to empty truck’s fuel tank. Yeah, they sip fuel but on an extended trip could sip you to empty.
-I would not extend exhaust, as messes with flow dynamics.
-Once summer comes, fire it up once in a while to keep lines/burner clear & clean.

I am all about the under cubby installs. Blow heat to back of console against bulkhead, and T with vent tube going outboard. Heat comes up behind console, and goes outboard against door latch area. We slept inside our truck like this in Iceland in blizzards, seats folded forward, stayed toasty (110 3 door). You can also throw wet boots behind the seats and dry them out!

When we came back from Germany, I brought a couple Nakatanenga console heater mounts and fuel filler line fuel taps. Console mount allows it to flow, adds USD or 12V sockets, and raises console to adequate height for elbow. Fuel taps are just too easy not to use.

------ Follow up post added February 1st, 2019 10:42 AM ------

RedChevelle: if you still have that low spot in exhaust tubing, reroute so you don’t catch condensation in the tube.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
these all in one units have the fuel tank built into the unit, so you do not need to plumb it into your fuel system. its one of the main reasons I bought this particular unit. that makes it much more portable - easy to move between applications, but you do have to fuel it like a lawn mower!

8 weeks on delivery? wow. Mine came from china but I had it in less than 2 weeks, guess I got lucky!

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Just for reference, I saw this earlier. This guy put one of these chinese heaters in a toolbox and left it outside his tent. You can see, its a pretty basic setup.

When he used it, it was below freezing (28F apparently) but it kept his un-insulated and pretty much non-enclosed tent area very warm. The annex area was being heated, but whenever the wind would blow, it would knock all the heat out. The then put it into the tent and it kept the tent warm (quoted inside temps were low-mid 60F).

As mentioned before, she will drink some diesel. Seems like it rolled through a jerry can in 10 hours or so. That said, it was on full-everything the entire time and I bet his hose didn't reach down to the bottom. He also mentioned lots of heat loss issues. He wanted to knock the heating pipe length in half (which makes sense) and a few other things.

I think (surprisingly) a vehicle interior will retain heat better and not be so susceptible to the wind. Or it shouldn't be. If you have this problem, probably need to fix it before the heater.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,837 Posts
That looks a lot like thin heater duct and it looks like 12 or so feet. I would imagine that the heat loss through such a tube would be extraordinary.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The 4-hole heater I ended up with uses 1.5" tubing. I'm going to have 2 on driver and 2 on passenger side, one forward and one back.

Problem is it didn't come with vents to fit the 1.5" tubing and I can't seem to find any that size.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
so any verdict on 5kW vs 2KW? These heaters seems to be less trouble when they run harder, and I'm leaning towards the 2KW for a vehicle install. I'm concerned about carbon buildup in a 5KW that is oversized for the task.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Finally finished my install. Ended up using a 4-hole heater and have 1 vent to drivers footwell, 1 to passenger, and 1 on each side in rear of the 110. Toughest part has been trying to find proper vents for the 1.5" hoses I used. The plastic ones I did find melted due to the heat this thing throws off.

One disappointing thing is that the heater can't run without the truck on. My mechanic chalked this up to the fuel pump in the heater not being strong enough to pull diesel out of the truck fuel line without the truck fuel pump going. He said the only other way is to install a fuel tank in my truck higher up so gravity helps.

I was hoping to be able to remote start the heater from inside my house, but this ruins that hope. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,823 Posts
One disappointing thing is that the heater can't run without the truck on. My mechanic chalked this up to the fuel pump in the heater not being strong enough to pull diesel out of the truck fuel line without the truck fuel pump going. He said the only other way is to install a fuel tank in my truck higher up so gravity helps.

I was hoping to be able to remote start the heater from inside my house, but this ruins that hope. Any suggestions?
Where did you take the fuel from? It should work.

·
Super Moderator
12,823 Posts
Pick off of the main fuel line...
Where exactly on the fuel line? Need a lot more details. Is this a 90 or 110? Was it always a diesel or a conversion? Takeoff before or after sedimenter or lift pump? You sure you used the supply and not return line? Everyone around here run these things and there should be no issues running when off.

·
Super Moderator
12,823 Posts
Also did you follow Webasto's details on how you should do fuel takeoffs to avoid problems?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Where exactly on the fuel line? Need a lot more details. Is this a 90 or 110? Was it always a diesel or a conversion? Takeoff before or after sedimenter or lift pump? You sure you used the supply and not return line? Everyone around here run these things and there should be no issues running when off.
I am not sure as my mechanic did it, but I believe it is on the fuel line before the sedimenter and fuel pump and filter.

·
Super Moderator
12,823 Posts
See if you can grab a photo of the connection point and the location of the pump. It should be fine there, but the devil is in the details. If you read the Webasto install manual, it has a couple of pages of dos and don'ts just for the fuel setup.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts