Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting cold up here in the NE, so I looked at different aux heat setups.

I ended up going with a 5KW 12V Diesel Air Heater. There is a FB group just for the random Chinese made 2-8k heaters. I picked a 5k that was being shipped from the US, and had a remote start feature with it.

I got a good amount of work done today, and will probably be mostly done with it tomorrow.

I am not sure how I will end up routing the hot air. If I can fit a splitter on the outlet, I will have one in front of the passenger side seatbox, and run another hose to dump in front of the driver's side seatbox.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Attachments

Reactions: Tattyboggler

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Interested to see how it works out. I've picked one up to maybe fit in my RRC or make a portable tent heater/RRC heater. Haven't done anything with it yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got one and mounted it under the cubby. Made a box for it that the cubby sits on. Intake in back, blows up front. Makes world of difference on cold morning.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the fuel line hook-ups today and primed the system. Afterwards I gave it a quick run and she sure puts out some heat!

Youtube was my friend and I found a couple of videos for setting up the LCD controller. The instructions it comes with are garbage.

Next step is to get a 3" hole saw and cut a hole for the hot air outlet and run the ductwork and put the cover on. I'll then cut a hole for the inlet side and find a cover with holes for it.

I still have to pair the remote to the system, but I am sure that's on Youtube as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got closer to calling this project "finished" today.

I drilled the holes for the air inlet and outlets and mounted covers on them. Then I got the remote paired and tested it, SAT.

This is the video I used for learning how the controller works and how to set it up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkdF4F-k3VI

I used this video for pairing the remote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmciMiUbhhQ

I intend on driving her to work tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other thing, the hose clamps that come with the kit are hot garbage. Pick up some good quality stainless ones.

I bought mine on eBay from the seller called "anglestore". It shipped from California and got to Rhode Island in less than a week.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I appreciate the write up RC. You have convinced me, this is my next project. a couple of Q please

did you mount the seperate fuel tank? or did you plumb it to the existing vehicle fuel tank? I'm thinking I might be able to mount the fuel tank inside those external "boxes" with the covers on the side of the tithonis. I suspect those were primarily for carrying fuel cans anyway! I would either figure out a slide in & out mount, so I could pull out the tank to fill it, or rig up some sort of plumbing for a filler system.

so is that unit under the passenger seat side? and just dumping the air out into the footwell is plenty capable for heating the whole cab?

Did you find a Y pipe? I'm tempted to mount it up against the bulkhead of the rear compartment, (Tithonis Ex Mil ) and then find some sort of Y, and dump the heat through the bulkhead to the cab area, and the other into the rear of the truck.

but i think I might be "warming" to the idea of under the seat!

·
Premium Member
7,147 Posts
I'm thinking to mount one inside an old metal 5 gallon jerry can. Looks like everything would fit inside. I'd just need to provide electric connection and an exhaust outlet. That way I could remove it whenever and even move it around. (tent heater for example)

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking to mount one inside an old metal 5 gallon jerry can. Looks like everything would fit inside. I'd just need to provide electric connection and an exhaust outlet. That way I could remove it whenever and even move it around. (tent heater for example)
If you want a portable solution, without making it, they also sell these units in a metal box with the fuel tank in it and everything. It sounds like what you would be making.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-3KW-Diesel-Air-Heater-4-Holes-All-In-1-Newest-Switch-For-Trailer-Truck-Car/292711032458?hash=item4426efe68a:g:nywAAOSwRUdbjllr:rk:7:pf:0

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate the write up RC. You have convinced me, this is my next project. a couple of Q please

did you mount the seperate fuel tank? or did you plumb it to the existing vehicle fuel tank? I'm thinking I might be able to mount the fuel tank inside those external "boxes" with the covers on the side of the tithonis. I suspect those were primarily for carrying fuel cans anyway! I would either figure out a slide in & out mount, so I could pull out the tank to fill it, or rig up some sort of plumbing for a filler system.

so is that unit under the passenger seat side? and just dumping the air out into the footwell is plenty capable for heating the whole cab?

Did you find a Y pipe? I'm tempted to mount it up against the bulkhead of the rear compartment, (Tithonis Ex Mil ) and then find some sort of Y, and dump the heat through the bulkhead to the cab area, and the other into the rear of the truck.

but i think I might be "warming" to the idea of under the seat!
I did not mount a separate fuel tank. I made a tee and tapped off the main fuel supply line that goes to the suction of the lift pump. I conveniently already had rubber fuel line down there from when I converted from 2.5L gas to 300TDI and removed the gas fuel filter that was down there.

Yes, it is in the "tool box" under the passenger seat (Right seat). The hot air discharge is in the front. There is a rotatable vent that I have directing the air towards the centerline of the cab, but the hot air ends up being everywhere. You could also buy one of them with the four outlets, and run the four hot air hoses to wherever you want. You could run two forward and two aft.

I ended up not using a Y pipe and having the second air outlet. It would have involved a whole lot more hole cutting and work. After a couple of mornings, it is not necessary either.

I have seen some installs of folks with 110's and 90's with the bulkhead behind the front seats. One had the heater behind the driver, mounted transversely. Seems like another good spot, if you have the bulkhead. I don't.

As a point of reference. This morning it was 28F at my house in RI. I started it about 25 minutes prior to me leaving. When I went out to the truck there was ZERO ice on any window, and the cab was a toasty 75F.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I was literally thinking of doing the same thing. While it would be nice to have it permanently mounted in the vehicle having a mobile heater that uses the same fuel as my truck would be pretty convenient. Really don't need it taking up space in the cab all summer long and being able to heat a tent or really anything would be hugely convenient.

Nakatenga Makes one in an aluminum box

Obviously the price is a bit prohibitive but it includes the battery and fuel needed to run the heater in the box.

I would think a remote fueling option would be ideal, no need to lug around fuel and the like in the box.

------ Follow up post added November 21st, 2018 09:36 AM ------

Rampage makes a Jerry can toolbox that might save you a little fabrication time

·
Super Moderator
12,879 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
You've never built something for the sake of building it?

A modular system has its advantages, namely being able to customize to an individuals needs.

regarding the crazy bit... is this not a defender forum?

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Just curious how much was the heater?

I only ask because it seems like the Webasto and Planar heaters are dropping in price (probably because of these chinese knockoffs). Not that I think this isn't a deal, but some serviceability would be nice down the road (for example, paying twice as much for a unit you can replace a failed component on might be worth it at the expense of replacing the whole heater)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
just ordered this one up - 5KW vrs the 3 KM in red Chevelles link, plus 60 bucks cheaper

so $220 including shipping

I'll let you know when it arrives.

Only issue I'm trying to figure out is electrical, the photos show no pigtail or other plug - so not sure vhow or if it runs a fan, i guess we will figure it out pretty soon.

One advantage to this unit, all in one, I can grab it and move it to my RRC, I'll just have some sort of twist cam locks to hold down the base, so 4 twists and pull it out (it will reside up against the bulkhead behind the passenger seat. )
and never have to worry about changing out the heater core - AGAIN. once was enough!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Just curious how much was the heater?

I only ask because it seems like the Webasto and Planar heaters are dropping in price (probably because of these chinese knockoffs). Not that I think this isn't a deal, but some serviceability would be nice down the road (for example, paying twice as much for a unit you can replace a failed component on might be worth it at the expense of replacing the whole heater)
when I looked at Webasto - those guys wanted 1000 bucks fior a unit that was going to require significant electrical and plumbing to install. felt pretty arogant to me, they were way to proud of their pre WWII technology, and their price reflected that "screw you - its us or you freeze your nuts off" . so in my way, ordering up this chinese knock off - I'm giving the middle finger (or 2 finger salute if you are british) to Webasto!

I'll take my chances with this unit, figuring I can replace it 3 times over and still be financially ahead of 1 webasto.

I will express my fabricating creativity on many other projects I have planned. This was just too simple, and a great solution for a serious problem, a no brainer for me!

·
Premium Member
7,147 Posts
I lost my anti-"made in China" bias a while ago. The products that come from China are not the crap they were ten years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I lost my anti-"made in China" bias a while ago. The products that come from China are not the crap they were ten years ago.
they have gotten pretty good at replicating tech that is for sure.

QC can be an issue, but you can't argue with the price point, especially when you consider that even if your item says 'made in the USA' there is still a high probability that it was assembled here using offshore parts

1 - 20 of 70 Posts