Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
88' 110
636 Posts
As some of you have read on here and helped me with, I just swapped the diffs./thirds on my 90.

I'm thinking I'll probably sell them if someone is interested, but could use some opinions on what they are worth (I don't have a clue). So here's what I have:

-The 4.75 that was in the rear is open
-The 4.75 that was in the front has a Trutrac in it

This is not a sale thread. I have someone interested in buying them, but if that doesn't happen I will post a separate sale thread. Thanks.

EDIT: This is now a for sale thread. Prices posted later

Attachments

·
Registered
88' 110
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No opinions on what they're worth? Just give them away to the first taker...

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
$1k is crazy Jafir, you should know better! 4.75 thirds are borderline useless for 90% of people. In a NAS, you're screaming on the highway unless you have 40"s. That ratio is really designed for Series with around 70hp.

My guess would be $500 for the pair, as trutracs are still valuable.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Not withstanding the low gearing, I find it odd that it was setup with a TT in the front and open in the rear. Story in there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Not withstanding the low gearing, I find it odd that it was setup with a TT in the front and open in the rear. Story in there somewhere.
Yep, very strange. Probably had a Detroit in the rear at one time and didnt like the way it drove...

Might get better $$ if you broke it apart and sold the gear sets and Tru-trac separate.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
$1k is crazy Jafir, you should know better! 4.75 thirds are borderline useless for 90% of people.
I was just thinking of the price it would cost to reproduce. $300 each for the gears, $500 each for the truetracs, $200 each for the labor and little parts, and then divide it all in half for being used.

My error in that math is counting two truetracs, and I know there is only one.

So how about a new guess of $750? ;)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I was just thinking of the price it would cost to reproduce. $300 each for the gears, $500 each for the truetracs, $200 each for the labor and little parts, and then divide it all in half for being used.

My error in that math is counting two truetracs, and I know there is only one.

So how about a new guess of $750? ;)
$750 is still pushing it :)

Not sure how you figure 4.75s are useless Zack :)

Perfect ratio for 35's on a V8 Rover with a 1.2 t case.

(about 3300rpm at 75mph)
You say that, and the math appears to work out. But 4.11s was too much for my 33s, and Lav's truck seems to scream on the highway as well with the exact setup you're talking about

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
You say that, and the math appears to work out. But 4.11s was too much for my 33s, and Lav's truck seems to scream on the highway as well with the exact setup you're talking about
I ran 35x12.50s with 4.11s + 1.2 and it was perfect; very driveable.
The 4.75s would have been nice offroad though....

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Doesnt Lav also have 33's?

Don't fear the revs, my son. Rover V8 "redline" is 5300rpm... cruising at 3300/75 is right in the power band.
They could be I suppose, I thought he ran 35s.

I ran 35x12.50s with 4.11s + 1.2 and it was perfect; very driveable.
The 4.75s would have been nice offroad though....

That would be a good mix IMO.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'd think 4.75 and a 1:1 high range transfer case would be pretty cool. Then you'd get ultra-low low range and streetable high range.

Of course that's even more money.

·
Registered
88' 110
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tempted to suggest this is moved to the flea market
Certainly move to flea market if that's more appropriate. Sorry.

------ Follow up post added July 23rd, 2015 09:40 AM ------

there is a brief story...front and rear were both running TT, but I kept the one that was in the rear.

------ Follow up post added July 23rd, 2015 09:42 AM ------

Doesnt Lav also have 33's?

Don't fear the revs, my son. Rover V8 "redline" is 5300rpm... cruising at 3300/75 is right in the power band.
So what is the power band range for the NAS V8? sorry, rookie question.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
4.75 gears is a lot to run on an open stock diff. No way I'd do it. So basically you have a front TT setup with 4.75 gears and a rear set of gears. You probably would have been better off keeping the rear TT and gears together, selling the front/rear thirds complete, and buying a new TT.
As for worth??? $750 seems about right. $600 for the front and $150 for the rear.

·
Registered
88' 110
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Agreed Fish. If I did it over again I would probably do as you suggest and keep everything together...oh well. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
$150 for the rear is a bargain considering that the 4.75 R&P alone costs $300.

to the OP - don't get bullied on the sale and be patient. Expecting this stuff to sell in a few days is the fastest way to lose money, unless you don't care.

In some cases, the parts you have might be easier to sell split up. For example, sell the 4.75 R&P's in matched sets by removing them from the thirds. Don't pull the pinion bearing because that's expensive. Also include the other pinion bearing in the sale to sweeten the deal for the new buyer. The pinion bearings are easily $60-70 dollars. Also include the shims and drive flange if they're in good shape.

The 24 spline truetrac is probably an easy sell here.

cgalpin might want the stock 24 spline open differential.

The advantage of splitting it up is that the parts become exponentially cheaper to ship. You can also ebay the parts individually, which is significantly easier because of the cataloging system.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts