Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience w/ the 4.6 Pursuit engine? Performance? Longevity? Are they top-hatted? I've been looking at a '93 RRC w/ a super low mileage 4.6 Pursuit conversion installed by ECR when they were doing conversions/upgrades other than just Defenders. The engine was new w/ zero miles when installed.

Any info appreciated.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
I had one (4.6 Pursuit) from ECR in a 110 that they built it was very powerful but quiet and docile until called upon.I cant speak for the one your looking at but ECR did a great job on the motor/whole truck actually in my 110.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Agreed, ECR does great work...I just can't seem to find much info (good or bad) on the Pursuit engine.

·
Premium Member
6,047 Posts
Also, ECR worked very closely with Mark Adams, RPI, and Tornado out of the UK so I would be very surprised if ECR’s engine building was much different. And since ECR did such a humble write up on the technical specs of the engine, you may find exactly what you’re looking for by checking out Tornado or RPI’s website. I could be remembering wrong, since it was such a long time ago, and it might’ve been Turner engineering that ECR worked with, but I believe it was the former.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. I did see the ECR build of the truck but I did not see the info above, thanks Red. I'll check out RPI and Tornado as well.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Why did they call it a Pursuit Engine....The first thing that comes to mind is my old Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with a 351 Cleveland Pursuit Engine...

·
Premium Member
2,172 Posts
Does anyone use the Bosch Motronic 5.2 ECU for these in a Defender? My BMW M44 uses that engine management and it seems to be a good system.

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
The Pursuit 4.6 starts off as a 4.6 block. Heads and intake are heavily re-worked for flow and gasket matched, cam and chain are changed as well as a few other small touches like updated injectors and shimming the valves correctly. It is mainly normal hot rod stuff (more air in, more air out) nothing out of the ordinary. It is not an RPI or Turner engine. The chip set we use was developed with Mark Adams. We flew him to the shop to get the chips right for NAS Defenders. So when it all gets combined you get some more power from the 4.6. They are nice, but are not rockets. They don't idle funny, they don't overheat and they just solve some of the lack of grunt that happens in a NAS Defender. It is called a Pursuit after the cars from Mad Max. There was also a 5.2 that was called the Interceptor, but we no longer offer that engine. A Pursuit that is in a Range Rover would have been built before the block/liner upgrades were done. That was a LONG time ago.

Any time you have a question like this, just send us an email. No need for forum mis-info. If you have the original customer's name we can send you the Work Orders from that project (as long as it was in the digital age and not so long ago).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts