Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was eyeballing a new project when i found a Disco I for sale. It has over 200,000 miles on the 4.0 engine. The previous owner had an over heating issue and drove it home anyways
. Once there, the truck would not start up again. It sat for over 5 years until he decided to put it on the market. The engine turns over very freely, like there is 0 compression on the cylinders. he claims its just the head gasket that failed and would be fine if somebody just replaced it. I have never had a car with a totally blown HG. i replaced the one on my 3.9 RRC so i'm aware of what it takes, but im wondering if the COMPLETE lack of compression might be a sign of something worse going on...Should i buy it anyways? At the price, i could part it and still come out OK...anybody ever had a compression issue like the one i described?

Thank you;

-Gabe.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
"The previous owner had an over heating issue and drove it home anyways"

this probably means the engine is toast.. I.e. if it were mine and free i would buy a replacement engine rather than cross your fingers and hope that dumping money into it helps. Head gasket kits are relatively cheap (~$100 or so) but overheating badly could/does mean lots of other issues are present.

ymmv

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
I'd be as worried about it sitting for 5 years, at least the engine can be dealt with but that kind sitting will bring about all kinds of other issues too. That's a $500 parts rig.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The price as it sits is $800. I was told it could be a timing chain or even broken cam by some forum mechanics...Any thoughts on that...?

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
I think I know the truck in question and I think it has already been sold....

edit: just saw the ad, I do know that truck and I'm sure it has been sold!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I know the truck in question and I think it has already been sold....

edit: just saw the ad, I do know that truck and I'm sure it has been sold!

Looks like i dont have to worry about anymore. Still i would like to know what was wrong with it...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts