Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a 1997 300tdi 100CSW. Replaced all exterior lights with LEDs (WIPAC kit and Truck-Lite headlamps). Been working mostly great for about two years. Had a couple instances where the wipers would randomly activate on low speed. The headlamps would flicker at the same time (like they were getting a voltage too low to properly light the LEDs). When this happened, the indicators would not work. It was never predictable (dry or wet, smooth roads or rough, early into a trip or after driving for an hour or more). I figured it was either a poor earth connection in the lighting circuit that was somehow feeding back through the wiper motor to earth or somehow related to a previous owner's install of some scotch-locks on the nearside headlamp harness that went to an unused relay....something to sort out another day.

Well, earlier this week, that other day arrived. It happened again, but the wipers froze straight up and all front lights stopped working completely (no dip/main beam headlamps, indicators, or sidelights). When indicating both right and left, the rear indicators flash on both sides (as if the hazard switch were used), but nothing in the front. The hazard switch correctly flashes the rear indicators, but nothing in the front.

Doing some digging around, with ignition in the run position, but engine not running, battery at 12.8v, I have ~6-7v both at the wiper motor and headlamps (when switched on, both dip and main beams respectively when each is switched on). I also have continuity to earth at both the wiper motor wiring and headlamps/indicators/sidelights to various points on the body, engine, and battery negative. I've pulled all the previous owner's unused wiring and replaced the scotch-locks with proper crimp connections and heat shrink. Didn't make a difference, other than eliminating the poor 'extra' wiring and a potential cause.

I'm digging through the wiring information on LRWorkshop to try to identify any common components that might be the culprit, but would love thoughts on what I should check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To add more confusion, the rear indicators are now glowing (not full bright as if indicating, but a softer glow that wasn't visible until dusk) while everything is off and keys out of the ignition. Somehow they're getting power....failing hazard switch, flasher relay, indicator switch?

·
Premium Member
11,493 Posts
You likely have a bad ground.

·
Premium Member
1991 Defender 110 Beach Runner 2 Door 200tdi
492 Posts
its a ground, but go ahead and swap out the hazard switch if it’s an original style.

Reactions: Ozzie
1 - 4 of 4 Posts