Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am doing a rebuild on my engine. I have lots of blow-by and oil consumption as well as oil out of the exhaust. Pretty much worn out. I am trying to do this on a budget, but not cheap out on parts. I would love to replace all with Genuine parts, but I don't think I can swing that. I am avoiding Britpart items, I am buying the full lot from Rimmbros, most of the parts are the "OEM" labeled. My question is which part would you consider the most critical to use Genuine parts. Things like motor mounts I know are not an issue, but rings, bearings and such may. Thanks for your 2Cents.

·
Super Moderator
14,153 Posts
Buy all parts from Turner Engineering.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t called them yet, but been looking on their website. I didn’t see pistons .010 over, only standard. Do they have them, and if not who do you recommend for buying them? Machine shop says it has to be bored.

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
925 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turner engineering is great for parts. I just ordered a new camshaft from them and a new head. If you are doing a full rebuild on the 300 tdi you may want to consider doing a 2.8 conversion. I'm in the middle of this process now. The kit is from M&D engineering. You get increased power and keep the simple 300 tdi design. Kit 170, 300 Tdi Engine Upgrade from 2.5 Litre To 2.8 Litre | Motor & Diesel Engineering (Anglia) Limited BOL with whatever you do :)
I considered it, but for the extra $5000+ For only 20HP… naaa

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Totally understand. I average 10-15K miles a year so it makes a big difference to me. I've lived with a 300tdi sinc 2000 so I'm looking forward to not needing to rev the crap out of it. hahaha As for price, the kit is only $2K and about $600 to bore out the block. I'm adding a few other things but overall not bad for a rebuild. BOL with the project!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah the block parts were not bad, just parts snowball. Bigger injectors, IP pump, turbo, and better head. I had just replaced most of those parts so I figured, just wait. Haha

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Yeah, This is the third rover I have built from parts. She is a total junkyard dog and even with used banged up parts the price always creeps up. I was able to keep the initial build under $20K with me doing most of the work. Unfortunately, the used 300tdi I got for it was not as advertised. The gearbox also has a bad syncro between 1st and 2nd so I get to double-clutch like an old series truck until the new one is installed. hahaha Going for a 2.8 rebuild will add another $8k :( ugh! I'm having someone else do it for me as my work schedule is crazy and I'm in between garages. I did opt for a new high-flow Turner head. I want a VGT turbo but my turbo is new and you can't find one for sale anyways. I just rebuild the IP pump and tweaked it a bit. It used the stock 300 tdi injectors but I did rebuild a HD R380 and I'm swapping out the 1.4 t-case for a 1.2 . Send along some pictures. Always nice to see others moving through the rebuild process. This is my JYD.

Cheers,
Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
I bet that you'll find the bottom end is just fine and you won't need to do anything except a light refresh with new bearings and rings. These are overbuilt, fleet-duty engines and the usual thing is the head gasket blows.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s pretty bad actually, the head it toast too much corrosion. The mains and rods look fine. Crank just needs polishing I think, but the machine shop suggested boring the cylinders .02 over. Cam bearings shot. Waiting to hear about the rest.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geezzz you really have me thinking. I need to buy a brand new head, turner has so many options. If I am going to spend for that should I just keep going?! Uhhggg.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you start throwing parts at it, it'll never end. You'll end up tinkering with it for years when you could have been driving it. Just ask my wife. What corrosion of the head prevents its reuse? A machine shop should be able to make it fit for service again.

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
Have the machine shop actually LOOK AT and MIC the piston bores before selling you on a bore. That's easily a 2 grand yes or no decision and if the engine bores are in spec (betcha they are) a honing and new rings are all you need there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts