Defender Source Forum banner

300tdi high Km

861 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Santiago Montenegr 
#1 ·
Greetings, I’ve been lurking on the forum for a while now. I have a 1998 D90 300tdi with 390,000 Km on it. Mostly the rig runs well. I’m curious when would an overhaul be appropriate? The shop I bought it from had already changed the timing belt, water pump, hoses, and alternator. I’ve since had the power steering pump replaced and a newer transfer box swapped in due to the old one whining at 80+ Km.

looking for input. I’m new to defenders I’ve always owned Jeeps in the past.

#2 ·
The real indicator is the blow by indicating work cylinder walls.
With the engine running, if you remove the oil filler cap and there is no noticeable "smoke" coming out, then you're likely fine for a while.

Reactions: hwkscr and Ephry73
#3 ·
What are you using the rover for?

If you are going to do an around the world trip or often need the vehicle for long distance driving, requiring top reliability and performance, then yes I'd be looking at a rebuild with that kind of mileage. Or if you have money to spend and want "the best".

If the car is a 2nd vehicle for fun, around town, and occasional outdoor adventure, then as it sits (assuming no issues) its fine. I'd keep an eye on injectors (use fuel additives), new filters, change the oil, check glow plugs, and just check overall condition. In all honesty, its probably fine. Worn but fine.

Define the use, then go from there.

#4 ·
Great points! Here in Italy I don’t drive it more than and hour from the house. Mostly back and forth to the store, the trail head for MTB, and up to the mountain for skiing. Occasionally I’ll take it on an off road trail in a riverbed but nothing crazy.

When I get it back to the states, it’ll be a third car just for fun around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I have a 300tdi engine with about 450,000kms on it. When changing the head gasket the factory original honing marks are still on it. I change the oil overy 5000kms with genuine oil filter and it uses very little oil. I spied a 200tdi here with 940,000kms on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.