Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my engine, had to go 40 over on the pistons and purchased a high flow head from Turner. Which head gasket should I purchase. Also do the metal ones have different thicknesses like the composite? I don’t have the engine back from the machine shop yet, so I have yet to measure with the dial gauge. If I do go metal I acquired a Victor Reinz, is that a good brand?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
200 Tdi 300 Tdi ? if the deck and head are perfectly flat with no pitting or corrosion then MLS, any warp, pitting or corrosion then go Elring composite both come in multiple thicknesses, and pony up for a new set of head bolts.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
200 Tdi 300 Tdi ? if the deck and head are perfectly flat with no pitting or corrosion then MLS, any warp, pitting or corrosion then go Elring composite both come in multiple thicknesses, and pony up for a new set of head bolts.
Block is original, the head is brand new as mentioned above. It’s a complete rebuild on a 300Tdi, also as mentioned above. Lots of new parts including head bolts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The method of gasket selection based on piston protrusion is the same across all brands and gasket types. It's in the workshop manual and also covers warpage. However, brands such as Victor Reinz, who offers MLS gaskets, come with instructions that specify max warpage. MLS and composite gaskets share the same part numbers. You need to look at a pic of the product to determine what you're buying.

·
Premium Member
Go Mundo Maya!
450 Posts
As a driveway enthusiast, I have used both on different 300tdi’s. The machine shop suggested the metal version and that’s what went in. The composite version that came out showed signs of being pinched. 2 years old and installed pre import. Use what you’re comfortable with.

·
Premium Member
1969 Ser IIA 300 tdi Hybrid,
961 Posts
If you are using a turner head, why don't you get the head gasket they sell? I also got a high-performance head from turner for the 2.8 tdi we are doing and just got a new head gasket they suggested.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you are using a turner head, why don't you get the head gasket they sell? I also got a high-performance head from turner for the 2.8 tdi we are doing and just got a new head gasket they suggested.
I may just do that, as stated above, I haven’t measured the piston height yet since the machine shop isn’t finished yet. I also have 2 head gaskets at the house already. One 3 hole composite and a 2 hole metal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts