Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi- sorry newcomer to the Defender world. I've been hunting for a while and found a nice white D90 in Colorado that has an OEM 300 TDI.

Whats the general feeling on the 300 TDI vs say a new TD5 or compared to the gasoline V8s in the 1990s??? How's the MPG? how's the torque and power? Highway cruising speed? Reliability????

Am i better off with the mid to late 80s Diesels?

I've been going through the blogs but found nothing this specific.

THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The problem is the defender you are looking at is likely not legal, probably one imported into Canada and temporarily imported here. A 1990 is the newest defender you can import and it would not yet even have an OEM 200 tdi, the 300 tdi came out later. So either its not legal or its a replaced engine.

Unless by OEM you mean a defender 300 tdi and not a discovery engine, it can't be a factory fitted 300 tdi.

·
Registered
6,598 Posts
The problem is the defender you are looking at is likely not legal, probably one imported into Canada and temporarily imported here. A 1990 is the newest defender you can import and it would not yet even have an OEM 200 tdi, the 300 tdi came out later. So either its not legal or its a replaced engine.

Unless by OEM you mean a defender 300 tdi and not a discovery engine, it can't be a factory fitted 300 tdi.

Oem doesn't mean factory fitted, it means exactly what it is an acronym for, original equipment manufacturer. There are hundreds if not thousands of 300tdi trucks legally in the country

·
Registered
162 Posts
With all the fraud in defender imports I was trying to warn him given he said he is new to defenders. Could be an NAS converted to a 300, his post doesn't mention. There are some people who do try to sell 90's model year illegally imported defenders from Canada to unsuspecting buyers. As far as the 300 tdi conversions being legal, its a gray area since the engines aren't technically imported for road use, but I guess its a rule that isn't enforced by customs post import.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.