Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All hoping to get a little advice as I begin work on the engine phase of my restoration.

So my intake system is rather coated with oil residue from both the EGR and more heavily from the crankcase breather. I'll clean this all out while I'm working on it. I'll do the EGR delete and potentially consider the Mann Provent filter.
My question is in relation to the crud that built up in the intake plenum and into the head. The plenum is an easyish clean but the residue that went into the head what should I do about it? Do I live with it or should I be pulling the head and doing a full clean/rebuild?
Below are some pics of the residue in the plenum pipes.

Second question is in relation to the replacement of the T seals. The workshop manual seems to imply that you need to replace the main bearing shells and thrust washers when the main bearing caps are removed. Is this correct? Do I really need to replace all these if I'm simply removing the 5th bearing cap to put in the new T seals?

Will

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,007 Posts
Once the egr is gone there will be no more buildup. Pcv on its own will cause no buildup. Up to you if you want to clean the head. It is not much work to pull the head.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was oil on the front side of the turbo all the way back to the cyclonic separator so oil was certainly coming that way as well.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
You may want to replace the separator as well - compression check will let you know if any one cylinder has a pressure loss and potential blow-by creating overpressure and pushing oil through the cyclonic separator. I'd still wipe down the intake ports to get the cleaning started - but one the EGR is removed and the cyclonic oil issue resolved they should burn themselves clean of any wet buildup.

On your second question the answer is no…

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
You may want to replace the separator as well - compression check will let you know if any one cylinder has a pressure loss and potential blow-by creating overpressure and pushing oil through the cyclonic separator. I'd still wipe down the intake ports to get the cleaning started - but one the EGR is removed and the cyclonic oil issue resolved they should burn themselves clean of any wet buildup.

On your second question the answer is no…
And if you are going to replace the cyclonic filter, get the allisport and be done permanently. My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
2,127 Posts
Ok that all makes sense thanks! I'm guessing there's no way to pressure test with the flywheel off?
Best to get it rebuilt and test through the glow plug opening - you can pressurize through the injector port and test through the glow plug with the flywheel off but again best bet is to rebuild and pressure test on completion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts