Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has almost arrived to pull the Engine/trans/tranfer case out of my project and get it ready to drop in the new chassis.

I've never pulled an engine before so I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a thread that would provide some helpful tips. Or if you have any yourself please post them.

What's coming out: A 300TDi from a 110. I'll also be removing the transmission R380 and transfer case either in one shot or after spitting it from the engine. It will need to be split regardless as I'll be re-doing the rear oil seal and putting in a new clutch.

There won't be too much in the way other than the chassis as the bulkhead will be off, no roof floor, tunnel etc. The seatbox could be removed too if it helps me in anyway.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
If you want a hand, I can swing by. It should be very easy with the body removed. Always easier when you have a few people to help push/pull.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want a hand, I can swing by. It should be very easy with the body removed. Always easier when you have a few people to help push/pull.
That would be great. I'll get it all disconnected and then we can set up a time.

Do you think I should lift everything all at once? The crane will take 2tons at it's min extension.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I dunno. If it were me, I would move the whole engine and trans over to the new chassis, then bolt the trans/transfer in, then separate the engine from the trans and change the clutch and seal. That way, the trans is bolted to something solid for removal and will be easy to line up. I hate separating engines and trannies on the floor.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
With the body on, it would suck. With no body, it`s a snap.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If your doing the rear oils seal, have you considered one of these?

Turner Engineering LUF100430 Rear Oil Seal

Just used one with success, but you might also need to drop a bearing cap if there is any sign of leakage in that area.

Eric,
Certified professional geezer

Yep that's the seal I plan to use. Did you use a gasket behind it or just sealant?

Im also wondering if I should do the crucifix seals at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Took me 3 hours this weekend to pull mine. Take your hood off first

Underneath:
Undo the tranny bolts
Engine mounts
Exhaust downpipe

Ontop:
Undo the rest of the tranny bolts
Air box hoses, if they go to a snorkel
Electrics off (IP solenoid, temp, oil light, alternator, etc)
Drain coolant
Fuel lines off (to lift pump and return line)
Take off accelerator cable from IP
Fan off and shroud

You can lift it out keeping the radiator in.

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
Took me 3 hours this weekend to pull mine. Take your hood off first

Underneath:
Undo the tranny bolts
Engine mounts
Exhaust downpipe

Ontop:
Undo the rest of the tranny bolts
Air box hoses, if they go to a snorkel
Electrics off (IP solenoid, temp, oil light, alternator, etc)
Drain coolant
Fuel lines off (to lift pump and return line)
Take off accelerator cable from IP
Fan off and shroud

You can lift it out keeping the radiator in.

I agree with this method, makes it easier to manage during the removal. Also since you a re splitting them anyway to replace the seals just makes it easier. You can lower the trans an T case down with a jack from below.

This is the same way i did my 200 TDI swap

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
If you are bringing R380 and LT230 out together you will need to remove radiator, intercooler and whole grill assembly. Make sure to get a chain or strap on the south end of the R380.

I did this method when putting it in.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are bringing R380 and LT230 out together you will need to remove radiator, intercooler and whole grill assembly. Make sure to get a chain or strap on the south end of the R380.

I did this method when putting it in.

The rad will be coming off, essentially there won't be much in the way except the shock towers. Everything is transferring to the new rolling chassis.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Do you have an impact/air?

·
Premium Member
13,802 Posts
I pull the entire thing as one lump. With no body on it will be child's play. I pull the bonnet and radiator support panels, floors, and tunnel. If you remove the shifter and use an adjustable load leveler its a snap

·
Registered
575 Posts
Remove the body first! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts