Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a weird situation. I found some oil sprayed on the side of my block a few months back. Found out later the tube broke right where it’s attached to block. I ordered a new one, and it came with an o-ring. I installed it and now it seems I have even more oil splattering/spraying on the block and now dripping off everywhere. Seems the o-ring isn’t sealing. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,705 Posts
when you pulled out the old one were you sure to remove the old oring from the bore? Also the china oring that came with the tube is prob super low quality, harbor freight has higher quality china orings in assortments, they even have nice brown viton ones. Put one that slightly larger on there and lube it up , jam it in.

if i recall on the 300tdi tube there may be enough space to put two orings side by side on there as well

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have actually tried both of y’all’s recommendations. I used the green A/C orings however. The bigger ones would not let me push the tube down even lubed up. Seems the old one may have been RTV glued in. There was no o-ring in the old one. May try the same thing?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. good news, bad news. I cleaned up around the bottom of the block. I also put RTV around the tube. It's not leaking oil from there. Seems like the oil is coming from the head gasket, not good.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now, I am thinking it actually may be the manifold gasket. I replaced it 4 years ago when I rebuilt my turbo. I have an extra one, I suppose I will change that first. I did check to see if all the nuts are tight and they are, but I have been reading they can crack and leak oil.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I will give it a try. It seems both head gasket oil leak and manifold leaks are common issues. I didn’t realize this until I started researching. After cleaning it’s just so hard to see exactly where is leaking. I just drove it 1500miles round trip and no change in power, the leak just got worse. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts