Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need a new fan shroud? This is for a v8 defender.

trying to get my parts together for 2 of them.

so far list is
Alt
Power steering
Ac compressor (one of them anyway)

any thoughts on the non-AC belt?

both will be distributor SERP conversions..

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
the non serpentine engines have a shorter crankshaft keyway that wont reach the oil pump, so you’ll need one of those

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
It's been a few years since I've done one but I seem to remember there being something different about the intake manifold between the serp and non-serp 14cux engines. I converted a 95 NAS 90 to serp about 6 years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you talking about part #4 here the woodruff key? this is on a 3.9 that is a V Belt currently. The only Difference seems to be the keyway width not the length.

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same woodruff key it looks like (this is from LRcat for the 4.0/4.6 v8's

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
gentlemen, all due respect there is incomplete information and some false information with regards to the proposed conversion. I performed about 6 of this on my old trucks.

Both 94-95 discovery 1 -3.9 and 95 classic 3.9 and 4.2 came equipped with serpentine belt and distributor, this means if you use timing cover, harmonic balancer, a/c compressor, p/s pump, water pump (it runs reverse versus non serpentine), alternator, all mounting brackets and p/s hoses you should be able to convert your 3.5 or 3.9 or 4.2 to serpentine drive components and retain your distributor.

The only time you would need a spacer to the harmonic balancer is if you use a 4.0 or 4.6 engine and dress it with a 4.2, 3.9 or 3.5 harmonic balancer regardless of the balancer being vee or serpentine belt driven.
This is because the 4.0 and the 4.6 cranks are about 1/2 inch longer. ( I can cover engine 4.0/4.6 engine swaps or conversions on a different and or later post)

In the us, non a/c serpentine belt defenders did come with a non working a/c compressor just as a way to use the belt, this is because the a/c bracket holds the belt tensioner. yes there are some odd balls which do not have the dummy a/c and use a smaller diameter serpentine belt and the tensioner is relocated. to date I have only seen one and can't remember how it routes.
I hope this clarifies your intentions.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Carlos - Not sure what you mean by false info but...

This confirms what i was thinking though

" Both 94-95 discovery 1 -3.9 and 95 classic 3.9 and 4.2 came equipped with serpentine belt and distributor, this means if you use timing cover, harmonic balancer, a/c compressor, p/s pump, water pump (it runs reverse versus non serpentine), alternator, all mounting brackets and p/s hoses you should be able to convert your 3.5 or 3.9 or 4.2 to serpentine drive components and retain your distributor. "

Basically i will have to replicate the 95 Classic setup with an A/C pump and use the standard Serp belt with it (good excuse i guess to add A/C to the D90 anyway, the 110 already has A/C) - the cam and everything else will transfer over (i will have a harmonic balancer with the front covers i am getting. I would like to do it for the oil pressure alone but now that i am looking at the whole thing it might just be easier to stay with V-belts. LOL..

·
Premium Member
3,842 Posts
Yes on the fan shroud. You can use one from a 1997 d90 or (much easier to find) a discovery serp belt shroud with a few cuts and trims to make it fit.

best Mod anyone can make — vastly increases oil flow and much better for engine.

·
Premium Member
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks i thought so.. let me see what i can source.. I am entering into a cycle of engine rebuilds it seems.. the D90's cam is definitely worn out

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
post #2 suggested the length of the crankshaft may not be suitable to the conversion, this is improper information.
post #4 further suggests differences in key ways etc.
there are other occasions as suggested where the length of the crank may present an initial concern, but there are simple existing solutions.
yes the timing cover for the serpentine system has a crank driven oil pump and no engine internals to swap, your existing cam stays in location. forgot to add you will need serpentine fan and fan clutch.
basically strip the whole front end of the donor engine, get a new fan clutch and new power steering hoses, for the a/c you will need custom hoses made with new charge head fittings. once you get into the conversion you will realize what I mean.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
You misread something. I said the length of the key not the crankshaft.

were not talking about 4.0/4.6 stuff, just 3.5/3.9/4.2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts