Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to pick up a .22 rifle to start teaching the kids to shoot. It would seem like a ruger 10/22 in some form would be the smart investment, though there are several more youth friendly options out there like the keystone Cricket. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be a good path forward?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I'd like to pick up a .22 rifle to start teaching the kids to shoot. It would seem like a ruger 10/22 in some form would be the smart investment, though there are several more youth friendly options out there like the keystone Cricket. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be a good path forward?
Ruger 10/22 had one as a kid, got the wife one she loves it.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Yes. Get both. O started out on a 10/22, well really an MP-522 and then immediately switched to a 10/22. Izzy started w/a Crickett but will likely get her own 10/22 soon. Each is cheap enough to buy w/o thinking too hard on it. Then you can bring the kiddos and that new acq up to WV to do some of this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feels unanimous. What's the go-to configuration for the 10-22?
Ray, lets look to Presidents' Day or sooner. I just got 1k rounds to run through her to break her in.

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
Marlin 39M lever action - safer for a novice and a really nice accurate 22.
My dad taught me how to shoot using a bolt action single shot Winchester. It taught you how to take your time and make the shot count and it was a lot more deliberate way to learn with a greatly reduced chance of an accident. I don't think a semi-automatic is a great choice for a novice shooter. The 10-22 is a really good gun but a lever action or single shot bolt gun is a better training tool. Plus it lets you use 22 shorts....

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
I just ordered a Keltec CMR-30 to go along with my PMR 30.
You will love your CMR30. I bought one about 2-3 months ago to with my PMR30. Lots of fun to shoot.

I am also a fan of the 10/22, but if you wanna buy a gun that he can handle and grow into check out the CMR30. It's a carbine that is light and a caliber that can reach out a little farther.

I am hitting a 8" target at 250yards with a 4x red dot 12 out of 15 rounds in fair conditions.

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Feels unanimous. What's the go-to configuration for the 10-22?
Ray, lets look to Presidents' Day or sooner. I just got 1k rounds to run through her to break her in.
You know where I'll be-just let me know when you head that way. As far as 10-22 configurations, plenty to choose from but little reason to dwell on it. We ended up with the normal walmart wood stock/blued config, it spent some time in an M1 tribute stock, and now lives in a hogue overmolded stock as the pic shows.

Jack's comments about lever or bolt guns have merit-much depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I grew up on a Remington single shot which was good for .22 round conservation; but didn't learn to shoot till the Marine Corps taught me. If you just want to have a fun plinker, hard to beat the 10-22 and it pretty much lives on the lists of "5 guns everyone should own."

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
My daughter learned to shoot a Cricket .22

Very easy to shoot

Very safe....teeny little bolt action; then manually cock the firing pin...can't do it wrong

She could shoot it well as an 8 year old/40something lbs

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
A Ruger 10/22 with a couple of the 30 round magazines is how I spent of lot of my high school weekends. Of course the cost and availability of .22 ammo would make that difficult to do now.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
if you dont want to have to buy another rifle after you teach them. id buy a CZ 455 or 452 bolt action. They are considerably more accurate then anything listed in the thread and only a lttile more expensive.

Single shot adapter available and are sub MOA @ 100 yards with the correct ammo

·
Premium Member
4,597 Posts
if you dont want to have to buy another rifle after you teach them. id buy a CZ 455 or 452 bolt action. They are considerably more accurate then anything listed in the thread and only a lttile more expensive.

Single shot adapter available and are sub MOA @ 100 yards with the correct ammo
Exactly what I recommended Minus my typo....

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Exactly what I recommended Minus my typo....

Whoops, didnt see that there. Great minds think alike!

I have a cz452 ultralux the hogback comb style with a 28in barrel. Its way overkill for .22 but, i have bested a few guys at my old club that were using winchester 40x rifles.

out of all the guns i own, it may be my favorite

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
I don't own a .22, but keep hearing about ammo shortages, and spiking prices as a result. Does that make it worth considering a nice .22 Cal PCP air rifle? There are some really nice, highly accurate air rifles out there now..

Benjamin Discovery

Benjamin Marauder

Hatsan AT44-10 QE

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
I'd start them out on a single shot .22 bolt action.
A semi-auto will not allow them to take their time to learn all the proper ways to take an accurate shot.
The semi-auto makes it way to easy to rapid fire and not know what it takes to be a dead-on shooter.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I don't own a .22, but keep hearing about ammo shortages, and spiking prices as a result.
.22 was hard to find around me for quite a while.

I didnt sweat it too much since I had a few thousand rounds in my bunker.

Just a month or so back, I bought a bucket of 1000 on sale at one of the big box outdoor stores so maybe the scare is over....

------ Follow up post added February 6th, 2017 02:50 PM ------

I'd start them out on a single shot .22 bolt action.

ditto

that's what I did

1 - 20 of 23 Posts