Defender Source Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Get it up to Sarek's. He's in Richmond. 8611 Telegraph Rd, Glen Allen, VA 23060. sarekautowerke.com. He won't screw you.
Alternately, Brian Kandefer in Raleigh will also not screw you. lrccustoms.com.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
If you have to swap the engine, go have a chat with your neighbor, Mr Davis. He had a bunch of LR engines he was trying to get rid of, and may still have one or two. Otherwise, you should spend the money on one of his Chevy 6 cylinder conversions which will put a huge smile on your face every time you mash the loud pedal.
Exactly how much backlash in the rear diff? They can be rebuilt, y'know.

Reactions: soonermatt

·
Premium Member
14,167 Posts
A rebuilt long block 200tdi can be bought from Rovers North and bolted right in. 2yr warranty.
As said above a Discovery 1 rear disc brake axle is a direct bolt in. Most opt for used.
Would offer that drivetrain lash is often several things, rear drive flanges on ends of axles and the transmission output shaft where it mates to transfercase on pre 1996 trucks. Splines wear

·
Super Moderator
14,153 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
The 200TDI is a dying breed. Parts are rare and even worse here in the US. I purchased one and then had the whole thing rebuilt and then added the VNT turbo uprated intercoooer from allisport etc... it made it a little more drivable and forced me to watch the EGT over the Speedo. In retrospect a waste of time. If you have the money or skill I'd go with the R2.8 or Mr. Davis has a very cost and performance friendly American alternative. I wish I knew about before I picked up my 200TDI. Yet another 2 cents....

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Nope, they want 60000 for 2 axles and an engine rebuild
Yea, that’s crazy!! Every rover seems to have excessive backlash. Could be just worn axle splines or output flange or whatever. You may not really need to do much of anything.

And if they’re wanting $25k for an engine rebuild, their oil pressure diagnosis is probably bullshit too!!

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
Where are you located? I have shops I can recommend, and send you some amazing remanufactured axles to be installed for less than the price they're quoting for one axle.

Shoot me an email if you'd like, [email protected]

·
Registered
113 Posts
re: $16,000 axle quote

When I get to it, I expect to pay $400 for a Discovery 1 rear axle with 60,000 miles with disc brakes. Already have it located. I think the 250” Chevy engine was $250. Axles and engine don’t have to be expensive. There’s a dirt cheap 300TDI/six speed combo on here if you look hard enough too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
You could strip down a disco axle at a pull your parts place with 2 people in under an hour and pay under $200. At least what I did.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts