Defender Source Forum banner

200tdi gurgling / air in coolant system - head gasket?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Motorventures 
#1 · (Edited)
My 200tdi has recently started making a gurgling noise like air bubbles are coming up into the coolant expansion tank. The truck doesn’t seem to be overheating or losing any coolant, however it seems like there is some pressure buildup of the air/gas after about 30min of driving (I haven’t ventured beyond that to make sure nothing blows up on me). I have not recently made any changes to the system.

After reading many of the other posts this leads me to believe exhaust could be leaking into the coolant system via failed head gasket? Or could air be entering elsewhere?

Any other thoughts before I tackle the gasket?

it seems that many choose to install a completely new head instead of resurfacing the existing in the event that there are any small cracks. Is there a good source for these anymore or are they becoming NLA?

Thanks everyone!

#2 ·
Pressure building up and gas releasing as it warms up is normal.

If you take the coolant filler off and there is continuous gas bubbling up then that is an issue.

Changing the head gasket is simple. However, if the head is cracked or warped then you need a new head and they are no longer available.

#3 ·
I will take another look at potential bubbles coming up into the tank - the first time I looked it just seemed like there was just a normal “flow” of coolant.

I mostly notice the gurgling / bubbling noise just a few moments after the engine is turned off - like gasses are coming up into the tank from somewhere else in the system.

#8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

Jacked up the truck and burped all the air out of it. Slow but steady stream of bubbles coming up into expansion tank when running - think that points to exhaust coming through head gasket unless there could be another source of bubbles... but that’s probably just hopeful thinking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.