Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am trying to see if I purchase dowel pins for flywheel.

According to the machine shop I dropped the flywheel off to with 35 years plus of experience, they cannot get the dowel pins out and need to drill them out and reinstall them which will cost me hours of labor.

I see that there are videos of removing these dowel pins on youtube and I suggested these methods but I ended up with the comment about his 35 years of experience talk.

So, does anyone know where I can get these dowel pins?

Thanks a bunch.

------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2016 09:43 AM ------

https://www.lrdirect.com/502116-Dowel-Clutch/

Found it. Now, how do YOU guys get these suckers out?

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I'm sure plenty of places have them but I got mine from lrseries in the UK.

Sometimes you can get them out with penetrating oil and vice grips if you're lucky. If not, you just drill a small hole in the back side of the flywheel and knock them out with a punch.

·
Premium Member
10,194 Posts
GM does not use dowel pins and the same is true of other manufactures.
I have encountered this same scenario with both MGs and Land Rovers.
If the shop can salvage the dowels, fine, but when they can't, I have the flywheel skimmed flat.
Only caveat is that you should use 10.9 or 12.9 bolts.
Been doing this for over 30 years without issue.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

Hi guys,

I am trying to see if I purchase dowel pins for flywheel.

According to the machine shop I dropped the flywheel off to with 35 years plus of experience, they cannot get the dowel pins out and need to drill them out and reinstall them which will cost me hours of labor.

I see that there are videos of removing these dowel pins on youtube and I suggested these methods but I ended up with the comment about his 35 years of experience talk.

So, does anyone know where I can get these dowel pins?

Thanks a bunch.

------ Follow up post added February 16th, 2016 09:43 AM ------

https://www.lrdirect.com/502116-Dowel-Clutch/

Found it. Now, how do YOU guys get these suckers out?

·
Premium Member
5,132 Posts
Search my thread history but I have done this exact job.

Machine shop said the same to me.

I brought it home and welded a bolt to each pin, then used a vise grip and slide hammer to pull them out. Took about 45 min with my crappy Flux core Harbor freight Welder.

I brought it back, had it skimmed and put the new dowels in. The dowels were left ina freezer overnight then quickly tapped in with a soft hammer.

------ Follow up post added February 17th, 2016 09:59 AM ------

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/200tdi-flywheel-resurfacing-34333.html

Found it!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Search my thread history but I have done this exact job.

Machine shop said the same to me.

I brought it home and welded a bolt to each pin, then used a vise grip and slide hammer to pull them out. Took about 45 min with my crappy Flux core Harbor freight Welder.

I brought it back, had it skimmed and put the new dowels in. The dowels were left ina freezer overnight then quickly tapped in with a soft hammer.

------ Follow up post added February 17th, 2016 09:59 AM ------

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/f6/200tdi-flywheel-resurfacing-34333.html

Found it!
I am going to try the welding method. So these dowels are press fit? So penetrating oil won't do much good?

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
There is a collet tool that fits over the dowels and completely clamps them in the collet. Then you put a slide hammer to it and they pop right out. Long story short, find another machine shop...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a collet tool that fits over the dowels and completely clamps them in the collet. Then you put a slide hammer to it and they pop right out. Long story short, find another machine shop...
They already sorta mangled one of them. I have a slide hammer and a welder so well, an excuse to experiment and make my life more difficult.

Do you happened to have a picture of this collet? Just so I can see how it grabs as it might give me a McGyver moment with some of the tools I have.

------ Follow up post added February 17th, 2016 12:41 PM ------

Before I try this, does anyone see any problem trying this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PFgOqQalQ

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Do you happened to have a picture of this collet? Just so I can see how it grabs as it might give me a McGyver moment with some of the tools I have.

I like the hammer trick and the welding idea too. just keep the welding slag off the flywheel.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
They already sorta mangled one of them. I have a slide hammer and a welder so well, an excuse to experiment and make my life more difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0PFgOqQalQ
Other than banging two hardened steel hammer faces together, it's works. Just wear some PPE

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Folks, my attempt to remove the dowels have utterly failed. The claw will grab the dowel but there just isn't enough torque that I can apply to lever the pressed dowel out.

I walked off about 1/8 inch of out on one of the dowels but I think I am wasting time at this point with hammer.

I will try welding a bolt to the dowel tomorrow but I am wondering how I am going to attach it to the slide hammer to be effective...

·
Premium Member
10,194 Posts
Folks, my attempt to remove the dowels have utterly failed. The claw will grab the dowel but there just isn't enough torque that I can apply to lever the pressed dowel out.

I walked off about 1/8 inch of out on one of the dowels but I think I am wasting time at this point with hammer.

I will try welding a bolt to the dowel tomorrow but I am wondering how I am going to attach it to the slide hammer to be effective...
Assuming you read post 5 and have decided you have to have the dowels, just have a machine shop drill a pilot hole from the back side that is on center and smaller than the dowel so it doesn't disturb the seating shoulder and drive the dowel out with a punch from the back.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why not drop it off at a machine shop? They'll remove them and resurface.
You need to read it from the top and get the story.

I am in the process of getting new dowels and they are shipped. Once they arrive and if I don't have these out by then, my plan is to give the job back to them. Until then, I wanted to try to remove them myself.

My questions still remain, what would I weld something to the dowels to attach the slide hammer?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
just have a machine shop drill a pilot hole from the back side that is on center and smaller than the dowel so it doesn't disturb the seating shoulder and drive the dowel out with a punch from the back.
I do this all the time in my machine shop ....soo much easier

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do this all the time in my machine shop ....soo much easier

I am just hesitant telling anyone how to do their job. He told me that "I have been doing this for 34 years" once already. Apparently he works with a reputable rover shop around town. Lamorna garage?

I suppose you have to create that jig to hold the dowel pin at a very specific position then drill the back of the flywheel?

My concern is how easy it would be to drill that chunk of metal.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts