Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I had removed my intake/exhaust for access reasons to do some other work and noticed the front and back exhaust (1 & 4?) gasket looks wonky. It doesn’t seem broken through, just like it has eroded on the outside edges.

The head looks like in that area but had the obvious witness marks of blow by, which was easily wiped off. The exhaust flange has not obvious defect but i havent checked flatness yet. Is this an exhaust manifold distortion issue? Or something else?

Obviously I am going to replace the gasket, anything else I should be checking or changing?

Thanks for your help.
D8D5138F-954F-4266-A3D6-C7B69B3A760C.jpeg
E6C518D0-CE6E-4594-BB81-6B35DCB76D64.jpeg
B8381D05-60E4-47C3-9A4C-03AB52F06790.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
12,287 Posts
It was definitely leaking. It is fairly common. You need to make sure that you retorque the exhaust studs a few times after running the engine, IME.

Make sure you use a Reinz or Elring gasket.

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
it was indeed leaking as Johnny said.
We have them milled to make them flat.
Yours has warped and will leak again if it is not machined.
Tightening it up when warped can crack or break the manifold which is also a common problem.
Since the head is aluminum and the exhaust manifold is cast iron the dissimilar metals have a different coefficient of expansion which will cause the torque of the exhaust fasteners to loosen over time.
You should check your manifold fasteners regularly and tighten accordingly to combat the thermodynamics at work to make things loosen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the input. I will take a look locally for a machine shop to take a skim on the head. In your experience is it worth checking the exhaust manifold as well? Or do those break not bend?

·
Premium Member
9,471 Posts
You have misunderstood the advice.
It's typically not the side of the head where the manifolds attach that needs to be machined, but the mating surface of the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the head.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have misunderstood the advice.
It's typically not the side of the head where the manifolds attach that needs to be machined, but the mating surface of the exhaust manifold where it bolts to the head.
I’m slow... sorry guys. :unsure:

You are suggesting machining the exhaust manifold flat? Leaving the head alone?

·
Super Moderator
12,287 Posts
Check to see if anything is warped first. It could have been loose bolts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts