Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here- I have a good OM603 diesel motor. Love the look of the LR Defender.

How practical and realistic is it to swap in that OM603 diesel? What kind of $$$ and hoops will I need to jump thru? I Have an ASE certified Indy- who said he could do it... easy!

Is he being Realistic?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
11,175 Posts
It depends on the approach you take.
You'll need to research if it has been done before and if there is any sort of conversion kit available.
There may be one off the shelf.
Will the oil pan sump clear the front diff or will the front diff act as the proverbial can opener.
Are you going with manual or automatic?
If I remember correctly, the starter on the 603 engine is on the left side where it won't interfere with the driveshaft.

Having designed and built a number of engine conversions, you're likely easiest choice would be to build an adapter to mate the OM603 to the R380 stumpy to give you enough engine bay to house the engine.
Then since the 603 was an automatic setup, you'll need to make a flywheel that has the Rover pilot bushing in the center and drilled for the Rover clutch, but also machined for the OM603 flywheel ring gear.
Then when fitting, you'll need to decide if you need to tilt the engine to clear the back of the bulkhead and maintain the factory oil filter housing, work-out the accelerator linkage, make sure the AC compressor will clear (if you want AC), alternator clearance, front crank pulley against the front frame crossmember, and come up with a custom radiator, test for an intercooler, and so on. Then you'll want to build motor mounts that come from the engine over to the frame mounts and use rubber mounts that absorb the engine vibrations so the whole thing doesn't shake the whole vehicle at idle.

Then after about a year and mounting the engine a dozen times, you'll take it for a drive and decide if the 109 to 150 HP is what you want.

OR

You could buy a conversion kit I build to mount the Chevy 250 gasoline engine into a Defender that bolts right in and makes no changes to the vehicle with prices that start at $1,699 for RHD without AC.

Reactions: Rocky and hanzo111

·
Super Moderator
13,702 Posts
What engine is in it now?

·
Premium Member
6,599 Posts
New here- I have a good OM603 diesel motor. Love the look of the LR Defender.

How practical and realistic is it to swap in that OM603 diesel? What kind of $$$ and hoops will I need to jump thru? I Have an ASE certified Indy- who said he could do it... easy!

Is he being Realistic?

thanks in advance
603 is nice engine but the only Mercedes motor worth swapping is a 606. All the cost and everything involved for some serious power is actually worth it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
606 and 603 should have the same bell housing, etc if Im not mistaken. That would mean that a kit made for the 606 (from dieselpumpuk) or wherever should also work for the 603.

I recently swapped a 603A into my 3 door G wagon with mildly tuned IP and am beyond happy with the power that it provides.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm nearly done putting a 606 into my 110. Really not a lot of complication other than sourcing parts, but between K2 and DPUK its pretty easy. Its 300-350hp, 400+tq, reliable, great mileage, and a global inventory or parts readily available. Can't think of a downside really.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doomsday diesel in the USA makes an adapter for the om606 family of motors for the land rovers. It makes the back of your motor look like a 4.0 disco engjne. So you use the disco 2 flexplate and torque converter or flywheel clutch and she bolts to your rover transmission. Cost is about 1100 usd. Uses the Mercedes starter I believe.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I'm nearly done putting a 606 into my 110. Really not a lot of complication other than sourcing parts, but between K2 and DPUK its pretty easy. Its 300-350hp, 400+tq, reliable, great mileage, and a global inventory or parts readily available. Can't think of a downside really.

How is this conversion going? It's a lovely engine... I've driven a LWB G with it in (and a 6 speed SLK 'box) and it was lovely.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts