Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently on a cross country trip, mostly interstate at 65-70 mph, 1989 110 200tdi engine with unknown history. I’m burning (and probably leaking) through about 1 qt of oil, Rotella 15-40 non synthetic, every 500 miles, this seems excessive. Can anyone confirm? I’m not about to rebuild the engine en-route, is there a band-aid to reduce consumption or just screw it and keeping going?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
I drove 1200 miles at 60-70 all the way home and didn’t need even a quart. Not sure where you are leaking, but if it is run away turbo, know how to stall your truck. Either put in highest gear and drop the clutch with brakes on or block air intake. Might be leak8ng somewhere excessively and not turbo— just don’t know. Think you’d see white smoke if burning that much.

·
Premium Member
7,108 Posts
My guess is the rear main seal is toast

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
That's insane. How greasy does the bottom of your truck look? You can't be burning all of it, methinks?
My unmolested and leaky 1993 200TDI takes about 1 qt every 5K miles or so (extrapolated from a top up I do once a month).

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
Mine had a loose oil intercooler pipe, you really need to get some engine degreaser and clean it up.

Could be the valve cover gasket, any of the crank mounted ancillaries (lift pump, vac pump)

Rear main seal as Bill said is also a very likely culprit but in the front of the engine there are oil seals as well, there is a drain below the timing cover.

Also I resealed my oil pan with new RTV not so long ago because I was weeping there as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Swung by Rovahfarm yesterday to pick up a fuel cap to replace the one I left behind at a gas station in Barstow Ca. Trevor was gracious enough to take a look and we determined the oil filler cap was leaking, so it was replaced, only driven 200 miles, but so far it’s been an improvement. I got a new valve cover gasket as well, as he thought that it is leaking as well, I’ll put that on when weather permits. The leaked oil was landing on the exhaust pipe near the transmission cross member, which is covered with oil, and burning off. I’ll look further for more sources of leaks as I feel there are more.
I though the droplets on the tailgate and spare tire were a Jeep thing, normal for the Jeeps I’ve owned, I guess LR followed suit on that as well.
Thanks again Trevor! Give my love to Ed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts