Defender Source Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
The 2.8 pump will prime the system by turning the engine over, but some people will advise against that since you're running the IP, which uses the diesel as a lubricant, dry until fuel reaches it. If you're going this route, it's best to fill the fuel filter with diesel before installing it to minimize the time required to prime the system.

With that said, Racor makes a filter housing (model 445R) with an integrated prime bulb that is freaking awesome, and I suggest using that over the Bosch unit that is standard on the 300's. On a completely dry system it takes 3-4 pumps for a strong prime, and you don't have to worry about potential damage to the IP. The Racor also doubles as a sedimenter which is very nice. You also have an option for finer filtration elements with the Racor. On my last 2.8 build I ran two filters; one 445R with a 30 micron element, and one with a 2 micron element. The housing also has an optional heater for exceptionally cold climates like your truck may see.

Just something to consider.

-Ash

Discussion starter · #42 ·
What Ash said. That's what I have- a 30 micron prefilter and a 2 micron heated primary. I intend to replace my rear Racor element with Rob's sedimenter at some point, and put in the back electric pump that can be used for priming as well.

Remember that if I can help you out from down here would be a pleasure. Land of Tdis and 2.8 TGV Ford Rangers. As we say here "we are lucky to find MWM-International parts even at the drugstore" all over the country. Also many parts are even made here, other ones in Brazil.

I ´ve sent some parts for someone up there before.

Cheers,

International isn't making them anymore. But you can still find them.
M&D sells them but I believe they are an assembly of parts using both 2.8 components and 300Tdi components. So not a 100% HS2.8.
I could be wrong on that though. Someone higher up the food chain might chime in.

Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #52 ·
International isn't making them anymore. But you can still find them.
M&D sells them but I believe they are an assembly of parts using both 2.8 components and 300Tdi components. So not a 100% HS2.8.
I could be wrong on that though. Someone higher up the food chain might chime in.

Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk
All correct

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

International isn't making them anymore. But you can still find them. M&D sells them but I believe they are an assembly of parts using both 2.8 components and 300Tdi components. So not a 100% HS2.8. I could be wrong on that though. Someone higher up the food chain might chime in. Sent from my iPhone 7Plus using Tapatalk
There is at least one new one somewhere ??

After production stopped somewhere in 2008 or 2009, if forgot the exact date but can look it up, the license of this engine (and the 300Tdi )was sold to a Chinese company.
Should have the details somewhere. Don't know if it ever went in production maybe somebody good with Google can find this out.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
They can still be found new here and there as old stock

Discussion starter · #56 ·
A range rover BMW serpentine belt, part no LR051050 is actually a perfect fit for the 2.8

Has anyone replaced the 2.8 TGV alternator with attached brake vacuum pump (85 amps) with a higher performing 300 Tdi alternator (100amps or greater) and AN electric vacuum pump mounted elsewhere? If so please post the part numbers required for the swap and any info on where the parts may be found along with any helpful hints to do the work. Thanks!

Has anyone replaced the 2.8 TGV alternator with attached brake vacuum pump (85 amps) with a higher performing 300 Tdi alternator (100amps or greater) and AN electric vacuum pump mounted elsewhere? If so please post the part numbers required for the swap and any info on where the parts may be found along with any helpful hints to do the work. Thanks!
Hi, Did you go ahead with this? I like the idea of a bigger alternator and a more powerful vacuum pump.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.