Defender Source Forum banner

2.8 TGV Turbo Diesel common parts listing

25K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  Andy T 
#1 ·
Finally got a thread going on the 2.8 Yahoo user group, and posting here for posterity. Many parts are shared with 300 TDI's, and some are unique to that engine. There is no other listing on the net anywhere that I can find listing common parts, so here it goes. Hopefully some of you can continue to add to this listing as you research, pull parts or hear from others. The goal is the broadest collection of equivalent parts sourced here in N. America for this engine.

Serpentine belt: 300 TDI 7 groove (LR: ERR5911, NAPA NBH25070640HD or NBH
25070644)
Thermostat: 300 TDI (LR ERR3291)
Radiator hose (for Defenders) 300 TDI
Water Pump: 300 TDI
Viscous Unit: 300 TDI (LR ERR2266)
Injection pump: NOT 300 TDI - Bosch VP14
Lift Pump: NOT 300 TDI (need equivalent part No)
Alternator: NOT 300 TDI - Bosch 85A (need equivalent part No)
Alternator regulator: Not 300 TDI (used in many common applications. This is the spare to carry, not a whole alternator) (part no on part: VRB196 G65884) Thanks Pendy (you the man)
Starter: 300 TDI (LR PRC5109N , equivalent: Prestolite M93R 35259400)
Cambelt and fitting kit 300 TDI (need LR part no)
rockers and pushrods, 300tdi (need LR part no)
front crankshaft - 300 TDI (need LR part no)
Timing case seals - 300 TDI (need LR part no)

Who's got more to add? Let's keep it going. Downside is we'll end up with Toyota people lurking our forum. You can blame me.

See less See more
#3 ·
Serpentine belt: 300 TDI 7 groove (LR: ERR5911, NAPA NBH25070640HD or NBH
25070644) Dayco 5070630...Gates K070628
Thermostat: 300 TDI (LR ERR3291)
Radiator hose (for Defenders) 300 TDI PCH119060
Water Pump: 300 TDI PEB500090
Viscous Unit: 300 TDI (LR ERR2266)
Injection pump: NOT 300 TDI - Bosch VP14 300 TDI is ERR4419
Lift Pump: NOT 300 TDI (need equivalent part No)
Alternator: NOT 300 TDI - Bosch 85A (need equivalent part No)
Alternator regulator: Not 300 TDI (used in many common applications. This is the spare to carry, not a whole alternator) (part no on part: VRB196 G65884) Thanks Pendy (you the man)
Starter: 300 TDI (LR PRC5109N , equivalent: Prestolite M93R 35259400)
Cambelt and fitting kit 300 TDI (need LR part no)Cambelt kit STC 4096L
rockers and pushrods, 300tdi (need LR part no)rockers LH ERR3342 RN ERR3343 Pushrods 546799
front crankshaft - 300 TDI (need LR part no) Late ERR4575 ...Early ERR4576
Timing case seals - 300 TDI (need LR part no)Cam seal ERR3356
Valve Cover 300-- ERR2409

I keep a list of part numbers ...very handy.

#4 ·
Never tried it, but i head the fuel lift pump from a 300 tdi can be subsituted for the HS2.8. I know for a fact that the levers of the two are different. Are the cams that run these pumps the same and do they have the same "offset"???

------ Follow up post added December 1st, 2010 02:16 PM ------

thanx for putting together the list.

#8 ·
Serpentine Belt

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem. I ordered a serpentine belt from
George at RDS. He didn't have a specific listing for the 2.8l but we both agreed the belt for
the later model 300Tdi was the one to go with. That belt is a 7PK1580. I didn't pull the old
belt until I got the new one. The belt (original) off the engine is a 7PK1629, which is 1629mm
long. The 7PK1580 was way too short. I called George again and the only other belt he has
for the 300Tdi was a 7PK1592 (I think). Also too short. Went to NAPA website and found the belt
with their part number ATM 7PK1629. They had to order from the warehouse but that only
took a day. Don't let them substitute a NAPA brand belt that "is a direct replacement" for the ATM
belt....cause it's not. It was about 20mm too long. Not sure other 2.8TGV engines are the same
but the ATM 7PK1629 was perfect for mine.
BTW....I don't have A/C.

#11 ·
Went to NAPA website and found the belt
with their part number ATM 7PK1629.
I can confirm ATM 7PK1629 is the correct part no from NAPA for the 2.8 main serpentine. Fitted mine today. Thanks Rat! Now my belt squeal is gone.

I have A/C. A/C is a separate shorter belt. Now I need to match that one and post the NAPA part no.

#9 ·
looking for a motor I have an ISUZU 2.8 4JBT. Great motor but to rebuild what or where could I get the parts?

#13 ·
Martyn at M&D confirmed for me today that the 300 TDI pump fits on the 2.8. The only difference in the 2.8 vs 300 pump is the impeller. the 2.8 is plastic vs metal. Getting ready to replace mine as part of my 70k service along with timing chain.

------ Follow up post added October 31st, 2012 08:03 AM ------

Martyn at M&D confirmed for me today that the 300 TDI pump fits on the 2.8. The only difference in the 2.8 vs 300 pump is the impeller. the 2.8 is plastic vs metal. Getting ready to replace mine as part of my 70k service along with timing chain.

#18 ·
So just to follow-up. Seems Prestolite changed the configuration of the solenoid. No longer uses a spade terminal (ring instead for the ignition) and the battery lug is significantly larger which means a bit of fiddling to replace one.

Details:
12 volt M12-1.75 BATTERY TERMINAL, M8-1.25 MOTOR TERMINAL, M5-0.8 SWITCH TERMINAL

Attachments

#19 ·
Good to know. when I looked up that part no, it was listed as common to Chevy, Mercedes and Fords. I also pics of one that still had same size battery rings and a blade trigger, so perhaps it varies.

My understanding is that the 300 TDI starter complete fits right in though if there's a desire to stick with LR part numbers. anybody understand differently?

#24 ·
Can anyone tell me if the radiator/intercooler assembly is the same. I bought someones 94 with the 2.8 installed and the hoses are all over the place, not like it should be, because there is an aftermarket intercooler bolted to the front end. The fan is gone and there is an electric fan bolted to the rad but not connected. I am going to make a winter project out of getting this baby sorted to where it should be and I think I need to start with the radiator and get the plumbing tidied up.

#25 ·
Well I found a little fuel leak this week and today identifed it coming from the fuel pump air hole underneath the diaphragm, which means the diaphragm is on it's way out. With a trip to VA looming tomorrow, necessity leads to experimentation. Thanks to a buddy, I've been able to answer the outstanding question "does a 300TDI fuel pump fit on a 2.8?" The answer is "yes-but"

With a 300TDI pump on hand, I spoke with M&D today, and they advised that a 300TDI pump would fit, but the outlet routing is different requiring a long fuel line, the primer pump lever is interfered by the 2.8 oil filter housing and would probably need to be bent to fit but would likely not be able to function to limitations of the stroke.

The I emailed Pendy, and as usual he was spot on saying he recalls the injection pipes would interfere with the 300TDI diaphragm housing. He was right.

But I had to know. In the long term interest of all of us with 2.8's preferring to pay $50 for a lift pump rather than over $100, and to address the total lack of conversation on the english speaking web on this matter, I proceeded to remove my old pump and install the TDI lift pump.

I had to remove the pipes just to get to the forward lift pump mounting bolts. That was a first for me. I used different colored zipties to remember exactly which pipe went where on the IP. Removing the old pump was very straightforward.

M&D and Pendy both proved right about the TDI pump installation. the primer lever did not need to be bent to install, but it would have to be bent to function. you don't get full downstroke without hitting the oil housing. while the input pipe of both lift pumps are the same (oriented to the bulkhead), the outlet pipes differ. TDI pipe is aligned to the bulkhead as well, whereas the 2.8 pipe is oriented the right front wing (which happens to be were my primary filter is). This required lengthening of the fuel hose connecting lift pump to filter.

On final reassembly, Pendy proved right as the inboard injection pipes interfered with the lift pump diaphragm, which is clearly a little bigger than the 2.8. I spent a good hour removing the pipes, loosening the idiot bracket holding them together so I could reposition them, then repeating that cycle trying to get them to work around the pump and be able to seat on the injectors and IP. What a PITA that was. But with minor reshaping by hand, I was able to do it, and test drive was successful.

Tomorrow we drive to VA, but test drive was successful tonight. I took pictures which I will post next so you can see them side by side. The old one is the 2.8 lift pump (obviously).

Now that I know they fit, I've ordered a spare to keep on board (which I should have done long ago!)

#27 ·
My starter solenoid cracked coming back from Denver. Age and heat I guess from 4k continuous miles driven. Per M&D confirmation, I'm installing a 300 TDI starter. They said 300 TDI starter solenoid won't fit the 2.8 starter, but a full 300 tdi starter is a straight install.

then I can source a seperate 300 TDI starter solenoid down the road.

#28 ·
Good idea to wrap it in a high heat starter blanket.
Thermo Tec carries a good one.

If you order an extra starter blanket you can wrap your fresh air line to the air cleaner box also to prevent the Mantec piping failure.

#29 ·
300tdi belt tensioner is the same per this thread:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33260

Also, the brass boost signal barbed tap on the 2.8 turbo is 1.8" MNPT, and the silicone host attaching to it is 1/4". for those interested in running your lines off the manifold instead of the turbo like me, I replaced the 2 point barb with a single.

#30 ·
I used to think that some 2.8 parts were hard to find. I was wrong. There is only one that is made of honest to God unicorn horn. The turbo inlet gasket.

I had to have my 2.8 turbo rebuilt last week, and after it was done, I came to find that my shop would not install the turbo and provide a warranty without a new gasket. Didn't see this one coming at all, when the shop called and said they checked with all their suppliers and couldn't locate the metal turbo inlet gasket. For every 2.8 owner, what you'll find if the day ever comes is that straight from the factory, there is no gasket between the exhaust manifold and turbo inlet; it's metal to metal. But if you buy a new turbo, it will come with a metal inlet and oil drain gasket in the kit. So of course, I check with M&D in the UK. "No sorry don't have them, never did, we don't fit them. You'll have to do some legwork. Good luck mate!".

The 2.8 parts catalogue doesn't even show a gasket for the inlet. So no part number. Told my mechanic and he said "it's got to have a gasket". I had to find one or they weren't going to do the work or honor their parts and labor warranty.

So now I needed to find a part number. Garrett, Maxion, Internal..I didn't care, needed something. I then found an information jackpot out of Spain. Turbomaster has a robust catalogue and shows the gasket part numbers for the 2.8 turbo.

Gasket ( turbine inlet ): 210647
Gasket ( oil outlet ): 210553
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/garrett_parts_list/724652-0001.php

Now the outlet gasket is easily sourced and common, but damn. That inlet is a beeyoch. So then I started shooting emails to every turbo house in the UK, and trolling the internet. My 110 was now in jail waiting on it's parole. The bond was a turbo gasket. All the UK turbo shops had nothing, never did. "good luck mate!"

I called Garret suppliers all over the US. "no luck, number not found". Then I called guerrera in Florida, who then called his suppliers in S. America, and he came back and said "it's not available seperately".

So now completely out of options, I started going through all the gaskets on turbomaster's inventory looking for measurement match to 210647. And I found one that was really damn close that fits turbodiesel Mitsubishis.

Turbo Gasket T25 T28 TD04-H Intake 1.97" ID part no: 210501

A quick search on ebay, and I found a supplier for that gasket. And their in Texas! So I ordered one to try and match up to my old gasket as a worst case plan B, and I asked about the Garrett 210647. Low and behold, they had one in stock, and only one! Holy ****! yeah, I ordered that one too. So I had two gaskets on the way. Ordered 2 day priority.

(side story, because I ordered expedited, it went usps 2 day priority, which meant flying from TX to NJ and getting stuck for a week in Winter Storm Juno).

Well got them both in hand today, and headed up to the shop. not only was the aftermarket 210647 a good match (slightly smaller hole by maybe 1mm) but I couldn't tell it from the mitsubishi, so the mitsubishi should be considered an alternate if needed, and is easily sourced overseas due to it being used on multiple Mitsubishi platforms such as the Prado.

The TX shop that makes this gasket is Chinese owned, but they fabricate their own gaskets. I've asked them to offer the 2.8 turbo gasket kit (inlet and outlet) on ebay so I can direct others to order these. I would much rather have a gasket then not. there is no downside. I'll be ordering probably a half dozen to cover hopefully a lifetime of reinstalls. I'm talking truly unicorn horn, unobtanium shiite. I'll post up the ebay auction link if/when it becomes available.

ebay store ID: mpgstore
Name: Great Power Global
Street1: 565 South Mason Road
Street2: Suite 109
City:L Katy, TX 77450
Phone: 713 893 8482

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.