Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My exmod is equipped with the 2.5na diesel. When I got it, the breather cap had a hose running off it to the left side of the engine. It blew a ton of oil out of the hose and onto my diff while driving home from the border after I got it imported.

Looking into it, I see the hose is supposed to run to the right side of the engine into what looks like a filter then down into the pan. What the heck is this part and should oil flowing through the breather cap be a huge concern if it's obviously supposed to run back into the engine?

·
Premium Member
10,283 Posts
Brian:
You're not putting that engine back in are you?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I think the military put centrifugal filters on them to keep them from breathing their own oil and running away.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Looking at the picture Your diaphragm pluming is wrong, The side port on the diaphragm goes to the cyclone below. The other port in the middle of the diaphragm routes to the intake manifold. I had the same issue when I bought my 110. It was consuming it's own oil supply. I found a picture of another 2.5 NA and saw the diaphragm routing was different. I tried the other way no more problem. The cyclone should route down to the oil pan for return.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The photo is from withams. Mine had none of that plumbing, just a hose running from the breather cap to the floor.

How much blow by is acceptable before you start thinking rebuild or replacement?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts