Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found my engine leak. Mine snapped off at the base and now need one for the Tith. Hoping there might be a parts engine somewhere..

·
Registered
379 Posts
Trevor @ Rovahfarm has them. Be careful to ensure that the olive is well seated on the tube and mark the tube where it seats in the nut. These have been known to slip after repeated pushing on the handle, resulting in erroneously high readings-consequently low oil levels.

Utica Club...funny, good memories of driving up to Brattleboro from Amherst (drinking age was still 18 in VT), to get cases of UC and Duke:party to bring back...

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah good to know on the fitting, I'll reach out to Trevor.

Yep, lot of memories with that golden upstate champaign and the bonds it created amongst our hometown crew. Pretty popular back in the day when a case of UC was $5.95 and yes, drinking age 18. Didn't everyone have this hip 45 record at one time??

https://youtu.be/CDitNNIi_zs

Thanks for the tip (and the stroll down memory lane).

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I didn't but good call as ill get ahold of one and try that. As an update, I failed at getting a wrench on the dipstick nut due to the exhaust bracket in the way. Tried fooling with the engine mount bolts to free the bracket but lost day light. Thinking that was not the correct approach anyway.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just to wrap up as this may help others. The easy dipstick removal and install on my 2.5na Tith was anything but easy due to the exhaust bracket attached to the engine mount that made it impossible to fully back out the broken dipstick's base nut. What a buggah.

After too much time messing with getting a tool on the motor mounts to release the bracket I ended up grabbing a good ole hammer and a 10" metal punch and used it to whack the bracket upward from underneath truck. It moved just enough to enable the dipstick nut to dislodge- after cracking it loose with a crows foot open end wrench as suggested by Pitchrollyaw. Certainly the tool of choice for that cramped angle, if you can call a 2.5 cramped.

Now I'm back on the road whistling as I drive the usual 45-55mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts