Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a 4 cyl 2.5 litre petrol engine? Aka "the little engine that could"?

I just bought a row 110 with one. Haven't been able to find a lot posts on the site about this engine. Hoping to start a thread here to build a knowledge base.

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
You won't find much here as those engines are somewhat rare and generally get removed and replaced with something more powerful.
Welcome aboard!

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
My 90 built in 1984 has it's original 2.25 (though it was considered a 2.3 by the factory) I purchased it for that very reason. Finding a factory original 90 SW that still retains it's factory 2.3 is rare, nobody wanted them and most have long since been swapped out for a tdi. I love it, it's the quietest Defender style LR I have ever driven and it is very quick off the line compared to my 300tdi. I can still do 75 if I want to but usually just use it around town.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree great little engine! Any advice on maintenance and upkeep frequency? Also Fluids, oil type etc. ?

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I treated it like my Series 2.25 engines.

Seasonal or 3k oil changes. 40w summer 30w winter. I also run Lucas oil additive.

91 fuel with Lucas fuel clean or 91 non ethanol fuel.

Upgrading to pointless ignition makes them even nicer.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat and use it as a daily driver. I had a 110. pick up with it but being 6'2 and having Defender vs series seats mixed with the bolt upright seating of the pickup top I just dident fit in it well.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I treated it like my Series 2.25 engines. Seasonal or 3k oil changes. 40w summer 30w winter. I also run Lucas oil additive. 91 fuel with Lucas fuel clean or 91 non ethanol fuel. Upgrading to pointless ignition makes them even nicer. I would buy another one in a heartbeat and use it as a daily driver. I had a 110. pick up with it but being 6'2 and having Defender vs series seats mixed with the bolt upright seating of the pickup top I just dident fit in it well.
great info thanks Derek. Curious do you have web links (or exact names) for the Lucas oil additive and Lucas fuel clean? I see a few options online - not sure which ones you recommend.

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I have a 2.5 in the wife's 90. Did well in Florida but struggling here in Colorado. I agree it's pretty peppy off the line.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow. This Lucas fuel additive works great. Engine was struggling before with standard 10% ethanol fuel. This really woke her up. Thanks Y'all.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Question for you guys about starting issues. When she is cold she starts right up. No choke needed. BUT when she is hot (been driving for a while) she doesn't start up again very will. Need to turn the key a few times to get her started. Takes a while. Any ideas why this is occurring?

·
Super Moderator
13,021 Posts
Idle mixture is too rich.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I was going to build a 2.5na for my series 88, but after much thought and not wanting to go slower than my 2.25 I have decided to build it as a 2.5 petrol.. I have switched all the P bits off the 2.25..its about to go in this week. I am looking forward to it..

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to build a 2.5na for my series 88, but after much thought and not wanting to go slower than my 2.25 I have decided to build it as a 2.5 petrol.. I have switched all the P bits off the 2.25..its about to go in this week. I am looking forward to it..
I happy with the engine. It's slow, but good for around town weekend trips in my 110. Prob gets a top speed on 60mph - maybe faster if I pushed her. Not very loud and doesn't kick off cabin heat like my 90 does. Guessing will be much better performance in your 88.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the idle sorted. Now I'm having another issue. As the clutch engages off the line the gears (?) are skipping / jumping. Only in first and second gear as I accelerate. Car skips/vibrates pretty violently as it comes into each gear. Is my clutch going? Oh I'm 100 miles from home, on an island no less. Ugh.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I've got one. Working on refreshing it right now. Its pretty much a stroked 2.25 5MB. Not many in US but plenty ROW. Add headers and a fresh 2bbl and its pretty decent in a 88 or 90. In a 109 or 110 its struggling. on anything >2% grade.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I treated it like my Series 2.25 engines.

Seasonal or 3k oil changes. 40w summer 30w winter. I also run Lucas oil additive.

91 fuel with Lucas fuel clean or 91 non ethanol fuel.

Upgrading to pointless ignition makes them even nicer.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat and use it as a daily driver. I had a 110. pick up with it but being 6'2 and having Defender vs series seats mixed with the bolt upright seating of the pickup top I just dident fit in it well.

How often do you run the fuel cleaner and how much do you use - a whole bottle every tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,295 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts