Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Alpine White Land Rover Defender 90 Station wagon. Needs work. Clean title. No liens.

SALDV3243VA102410

Located in Boston MA

The good. Drives very straight down the highway, steering is tight, suspension feels good, air conditioning blows cold, tires are at 70% remaining, new fan clutch, alternator replaced last summer, power windows, clean interior, what else?, it's a Defender, the queen has one, they're awesome, they're about to stop making them, your buddy had one and you've always wanted one and now here's one for sale right before your very eyes, they make you look cool, the prices keep going up, goes anywhere, chicks dig it, your kids will love it, your wife will...never mind and I think this is the least expensive daily drivable clean title 97SW on the market.

But there's an equal amount of bad :(

The bad. Rear wiper does not work, front windshield cleaner spray does not work, drivers side inner door lock broken, console lid cracked, headliner 2 different colors, missing 2 jumps seats, rear door bottom rusted, rear cross member rusted, passenger side frame rail rusting, passenger door dented, paint flaking off on back corners, front left brake caliper leaking(which was new a year ago), oil pan leaking, radiator rusting, heatercore leaking and currently bypassed, there's no stereo or speakers, overheats if left sitting in traffic on a hot day, probably needs a thermostat, mileage is messed up on carfax, did I mention it's a Defender...and that they're awesome?

The mileage is roughly 125,000. I say roughly because odometer was replaced and documented. There is an odometer replacement sticker on the door however previous owners and dealerships have failed to record the sticker mileage so, carfax is screwed up.

The rust is primarily in the back. The crossmember you can put a screw driver through in a few small places near step bumper. The passenger frame rail in one spot I think you could put a screw driver through but, I have not tried. The floorboards/bulkhead look good. Rest of the chassis looks pretty good. There is some surface rust under the hood on the hood frame.

Door bottoms are alright up front however some rust is starting to form, again, have not tried to jam a screw driver through it but, it might go. Rear door bottom is shot.

Engine in the truck was reportedly replaced around 30,000miles at the dealership. Most everything on it looks fairly original. The engine sometimes has a hard time starting in the morning. If you cycle the key that seems to help. Once it's running, it starts great for the rest of the day. Someone said it's a throttle advance something or a vacuum line? Valve cover gaskets could use refreshing.

Transmission and transfer case work great. No major leaks. Diffs are quite. No clunking. Driveshaft feel tight.

Wrecks? the V8 emblem on the drivers side does not match the passenger side. The truck has been wrecked but I don't know the details. The drivers side door appears to have been hit bent and repaired at some point. The passenger side has had some paint work. All things you might not notice unless I showed you.

Misc, the rubber gaskets around the alpine windows are dry rotted, the electric fan relay occasionally clicks when the AC is on, the fuel gauge bounces, the lower metal tub door jam bit has surface rust, truck has keyless entry but it rarely unlocks it.

Previous owners I know about, a guy in New Hampshire that owned a golf course. He bought it in Charleston SC had it for a year, hardly drove it. Before him it was sold once by Land Rover Greenville and once by Land Rover Hilton Head, if I'm not mistaken. One owner was a women that drove the truck back and forth from the beach to the mountains. I think she owned it the longest. I have owned the truck for 2 years and it has been my daily driver. It's been a great truck during that time and if I had the time or money to fix it, I'd probably keep it.

Seats, the drivers seats and badger covers are wrong and I need to keep them. I'm in the process of trying to locate correct SW seats. Correct seats are included in the price.

If I can think of anything else I'll post it.

Oh yeah, the price! $35,000

Many thanks to those who keep this website going. Cheers to ya'll!

image-3212366013.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wanted to tell you how much your wonderful, and frank, description of this lovely machine made me laugh.

You should be blogging about this Landy.

At once what jumped into my head is a song I wish I knew more words to. It is called 'The Land Rover Song' and it used to be occasionally played in a pub in Whitby, North Yorkshire, by a local band called Banoffi. The lead singer had an elderly Land Rover.

Basically the song consists of a very amusing litany of faults on the Landy. How this does not work and that does not work and the other has fallen off.

However, the chorus is:

But I would rather have you
Than a brand new Subaru

We - local Landy enthusiasts - TRIED to get this fellow to record this wonderful song. But he would not. The band's other songs were serious and soulful. He felt the frivolity of the Land Rover Song reflected badly. . . Too bad, they could have made their fortune! Now the famous words are lost! Apart from the chorus!

Thanks for a good laugh.

. . . Also, I did buy a lotto ticket for tonight, and I am seriously into pet rescue. So if I happen to win - I'll be asking you to ship the poor love to Nova Scotia, at once. Looks like it needs some TLC. What is its name?

Cheers, Alison

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More rust discovered behind catalytic converter. Looking more and more like #0164 needs a new frame.

image-112573045.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are several people currently interested in the truck as is so, I've decided to briefly try and negotiate with them before beginning repairs or parking the truck until I return from Africa.

Update...front u-joints are ok, it's the front wheel bearings that need to be replaced. There's a vibration above 40mph and a metal on metal sound in slow turns. Rocking the tires by hand makes the rotors knock on the hubs.

I wish I had more time for this truck but, I'm working nonstop to try and end this season as quickly as possible so I can hit the road. Yesterday should have been my last day...and we did manage to haul the boat but, there is still much todo.

image-2192303612.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I have an NAS rust free frame for sale ,,, let the new owner know... thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts