Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I ran accross a set of axle shafts for a (automatic) Disco 1997 (NAS) with a good price (I think). Are those going to fit my (manual) defender 1995 (NAS)?
I will keep them a spares in case I break any on the trails.

Thanks,
MonLand.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Are those going to fit my (manual) defender 1995 (NAS)?

yes.
T

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Sometimes the length of the shaft can be an issue, you need to know the length of the shaft from the drive flange to the end of the drive shaft, they aren't always the same. Classic Range Rover shafts won't fit in an early 90 as I found out the length is slightly diffferent, it's not just the number of splines that you need to consider.:rolleyes

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
mike-
do you know which ones/years are shorter/longer? that's the first time i've heard anyone make a mention of 24 spline shafts being different lengths. all my experience stateside is once everything changed (specifically rears) to 24-spline in mid-93, all the housings, shafts, 3rd members, etc are the same in 90s, RRCs ('mid-93 to 95), and Disco 1s.

were the RRC shafts you had problems with front or rear?
T

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Near as I can tell the 24 spline shafts on all coiler LR diffs fit each other ... Hmm i would be interested to know about any differences since i try to sell upgrade shafts for these axles and haven't heard of anything different.
In this case though the 97 Disco shafts will absolutely fit your 95 90... Why not save you $$$ and get some un (well within reason)breakable ones?

Keith
Still not above a shameless plug
www.rovertracks.com

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
Sorry, I may have caused confusion. I was just saying that they might be different lenghts.
I know for sure that you can"t put Classic Range Rover shafts in a drum braked 90 axle or vice versa from experience having swapped a drum braked 90 axle and case for a disc braked Range Rover axle. The shafts looked about the same at a casual glance but the lenghts were far enough out to mean that the shafts weren't interchangeable

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
interesting ..... didn't know that. all my experience has been with fully disc'd coilers ... no drums.
T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts