Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum.

Just picked up a '96 defender - lots of problems ironed out....saw a leak today and noticed (after searching the web for what the part was) that the Brake Pressure Reducing Valve was leaking on depression of the breaks at the end (rubber nipple/opening) not massive fluid loss but there and obvious.

Also noticed the brake pedal moves "side to side" under foot...is this normal for an older 90 or related/separate issue? always had 2As, 3s in the past...my first defender.

Any help, experiences, ideas appreciated.

Tim

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
Hi Tim, welcome to the site and sorry no-one responded to your email.

I found this email searching the site - I happen to have both issues on my 94 D90 - my Brake Pressure Reducing Valve is leaking and my brake pedal moves side to side, although I think the pedal has done this as long as I have owned it (over 10 years). The pedal pivots on brass bushes and they must be worn. I'm not sure if it's anything to be concerned about, or just annoying :)

But regarding the valve, has anyone taken one apart to see if it's just an o-ring or something, or is it non-serviceable?

Here is a picture of mine:

IMG_3594.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,003 Posts
The pedal pivot has bushings. Part number 564816. A little pricey, but a simple fix.

No idea on fixing the bias valve. I don't have that fancy mumbo jumbo. They do not look that expensive.

·
Administrator
11,722 Posts
And since it's my brakes and I have easy access to it right now (the reason I noticed) I should just buy a new one and replace it. I'm mainly pissed that the brake fluid has been further ruining my already ruined firewall :)

The pedal bushings are on the todo list somewhere between retirement and when I die.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts