Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a master battery disconnect switch on my NAS D90 to prevent battery drain as I don't drive it as much in the winter and use it for security other times. It's frustrating when I lose all the radio settings. I thought about running a direct line from the radio to the battery, but I am afraid it would defeat the purpose of the master battery disconnect. So I am looking to replace my stock Clarion RTC778 radio with a unit that has non-volatile memory (I.e. won't lose memory when the battery is disconnected). Also did not want a "flashy" unit with a ton of LED's. I have searched high and low and it seems like the Jensen JCV1640BT is the best option for me ( JENSEN AM/FM/WB/USB/iPod & iPhone/SiriusXM-Ready/Bluetooth Stereo ). I also tried to find information on how to install a new radio but the D90 seems to be a little less than straightforward. My truck has the stock amp and a subwoofer that the PO installed (not sure if the sub was an original option?). I've seen on the forum that some people have installed this same radio (but not sure if its the same truck and set up). I am looking for some guidance... I am an average DIYer.
  • What is the right wire harness for the '95 NAS ST? Does an aftermarket one exist?
  • How do I wire the sub to this head unit? It does have RCA preamp plugs.
  • Do I bypass the stock amp? I read that if you do that, it may cause other issues with the ECU?
  • Is this job to complicated for an average DIYer?
  • Should I just buy the head unit and have a car audio guy hook it up?
Any guidance would be great!!!
Thanks!!!
Josh

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts

Constant 12V+
Purple/White
Switched 12V+White/Orange
GroundBlack
IlluminationRed/Black
Dimmern/a
Antenna TriggerGreen
AntennaLeft Front
Front Speakers6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+)Brown
Left Front (-)Green
Right Front (+)Red
Right Front (-)Blue
Rear Speakers6 1/2" Rear Hatch
Left Rear (+)Brown/White
Left Rear (-)Green/White
Right Rear (+)Red/White
Right Rear (-)
here you go, best of luck

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Just put a 1 amp fuse in parallel with the battery disconnect. It'll keep the radio settings alive when the switch is off, but will blow and prevent the truck from starting if an attempt is made to do that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Constant 12V+
Purple/White
Switched 12V+White/Orange
GroundBlack
IlluminationRed/Black
Dimmern/a
Antenna TriggerGreen
AntennaLeft Front
Front Speakers6 1/2" Doors
Left Front (+)Brown
Left Front (-)Green
Right Front (+)Red
Right Front (-)Blue
Rear Speakers6 1/2" Rear Hatch
Left Rear (+)Brown/White
Left Rear (-)Green/White
Right Rear (+)Red/White
Right Rear (-)

here you go, best of luck
Thank you. Question - you list left front, right front and “front speakers”. is this specifically for a 95 NAS D90? I only have two front and two rear speakers. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just put a 1 amp fuse in parallel with the battery disconnect. It'll keep the radio settings alive when the switch is off, but will blow and prevent the truck from starting if an attempt is made to do that.
Smart. Will that drain the battery if the truck is sitting for a while? That was the other reason for the battery disconnect install. The last radio memory was the unintended consequence.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
JD, I think it speaks of tweeters, here is the full link.https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1252.html

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Smart. Will that drain the battery if the truck is sitting for a while? That was the other reason for the battery disconnect install. The last radio memory was the unintended consequence.
Measure the current drain with an ammeter. But really it shouldn't be very much. I drive my rig about once a month this time of year, and that's plenty to keep a healthy battery fully charged. The radio is only only to use milliamps at most. Batteries hold 100's of amp-hours of charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts