Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 1995 NAS Defender 90 on December 27th of 2019. Never owned a Land Rover of any vintage before, and wasn't particularly in the market for a Defender but had been eyeing one at a dealership near my office for quite a awhile. Noticed it wasn't selling and the price was slowly dropping, so one day decided to pop in for a look. And what do you know, now there's one in the garage! Well, actually it's my wife's since she was coming out of a lease (a terrible 2019 Honda Accord), and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super jealous. Nevertheless, I'm handling maintenance so I get to post :LOL:

I don't have an end goal for this "build" since even if I did, I doubt I'd get to 80% of the projects on the list. I do however want to ensure the truck is and remains a solid runner, and bring it somewhat into the 21st century while keeps it squarely with it's roots. Not going full Chelsea tractor, nor rock smasher. Just a nice daily driveable truck that we can take up on some mountain passes in the summer.

Prior to creation of this thread, we had a prepurchase inspection performed by JC's British & 4x4 in Englewood, CO (great place BTW). The discovered a few issues, primarily that the engine was significantly overfilled with oil, and that the transfer case oil was contaminated with water (loose fill plug). There was also an oil cooler line leak that was causing engine oil to blow back onto the exhaust manifold at highway speed. Immediately had engine/trans/TC oils changed and braided steel cooler lines installed. All other identified items were "monitor only" and not critical fixes, and the truck was otherwise given a clean bill of health.

Current chore list:
✔Fix turn signal auto cancel
✔LED gauge lights
Speaker upgrades
Door adjustment
Bulkhead vent seals
Window tint
Head unit upgrade
Dynamat

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was done shortly before this thread was created, but generally happy with how it came out. It's no VDO swap, but at least they are now readable at night. The light is rather uneven though, especially on the fuel and temp gauges and the heater controls are also extremely bright in comparison. I'd still like to do a fill VDO swap eventually, but for $15 and 30 minutes, this will certainly do for now.

I rolled this job in with fixing the directional auto cancel, which requires removing the steering wheel. Not necessary to do that, but it certainly made for a better work position. The fix itself required the blue collar to be rotated 180 degrees and the stalk boot to be trimmed a bit, as it was applying uneven pressure and causing the signals to cancel prematurely on right hand turns.

Also removed the roof rack. My neighborhood does not allow long term street parking (nor is that desirable in any way), and the truck was too tall with the rack on to fit in the garage. My wife likes it so hopefully soon we'll be in a place with a taller garage door and can reinstall it.

Here's the Defender with her more boisterous stablemate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts