Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stumbled across this ad:

1994 Land Rover Defender 90 D90 NAS POE. 1 of 1! Attention Collectors! AC | Denver, Colorado | Worldwide Vintage Autos

I'm curious about whether anyone has seen this before and can vouch for the top and the color combination? I ask because the Defender plate in the back merely reads, "3," and the VIN corresponds to the third 1994 imported.

The problem lies in the notes section of the LR FAQ site, where it states, "plastic top":

Land Rover FAQ - Repair & Maintenance - Defender NAS VIN Registry:1994 & 1995 Defender 90 Softop (NAS)

It definitely has a port of entry style liftgate - and no rear headliner, as they came in - and no "B" pillar roll cage. But it's a very early car - as opposed to the other POE cars that were very late in the 1994 run... just curious about this curious Defender.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
This truck was owned by 2 different friends of mine. I believe that it came into the country as a soft top and was converted to a hardtop by the original owner. I haven't seen the truck in a few years, but it was a decent truck last time i had it in the shop.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
This truck was owned by 2 different friends of mine. I believe that it came into the country as a soft top and was converted to a hardtop by the original owner. I haven't seen the truck in a few years, but it was a decent truck last time i had it in the shop.
Worldwide Vintage Autos doesn't exactly have the best reputation so I view anything they write in their ads with a bit of skepticism.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe Roadsiderob is right about the top conversion, I was at a Blue Ridge Land Rover rally in the late 90's and the former owner bought or traded the POE top from a fellow club member and installed it at the rally. Could be a differ truck,but with the POE numbers so low I doubt it. I have pics of that truck at that rally sporting its new hardtop somewhere.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I think Ross is correct on the respray -- the only part that would be white on a POE tope from the Factory would be the horizontal top sheet, unless the whole truck was white -- unsure if there were any fully white POE's though.

Per Rob's and Tyler's comments, this is not a factory POE, so the numbers probably don't match up. However, I would bet money this rover has an original POE top, due to the half headliner and the exposed seatbelt anchors as seen in the pics.

POE's are extra noisy due to the 1/2 headliner.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
For the record, there is 1 Portofino Red '94 POE. It was used by LRNA to test LR Centre test tracks around the country back in the early 1990's. That being said, the truck above is not the original Portofino Red POE that I saw, and I know someone who has an analog picture of the vehicle. The true original POE has Portofino Red side roof panels and lift gate with a white upper roof. :nerd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts