Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m selling my 1994 NAS Defender 90 soft top #208, white in It has the factory 3.9l v8 and r380 manual transmission. Has what I understand to be factory air conditioning. The truck has a rebuilt title. The truck has spent the majority of its life with a lot of suspension and axle mods and been wheeled a lot and has a lot of battle scars. That being said it is essentially rust free. I’ve owned the truck since ‘12 and I’m looking to get $25,000 and I’m pretty firm on the price. If this doesn’t scare you off keep reading my novel here and see if this is the truck for you. This truck runs/drives/stops, but is far from a daily driver.

History as I know it to be:
Carfax shows it to be one owner, but that is incorrect, I am the third owner. Truck was bought new in Idaho and the original owner sold it in 1996. The second owner (who I bought the truck from)lived in Washington state from 1996 to 2000, then in California from 2000 to 2007, and finally in Kentucky from 07 through when I bought the truck in 2012 with 140k miles on it. In 2005 the second owner flopped the truck on the passenger side and the insurance company totaled it. The second owner told me the accident was off road at low speed, but I can’t confirm nor deny that, although the only panel with what appears to be non factory paint is the passenger side door, and it is just slightly the wrong shade of white. This is when it got the rebuilt title.

Current condition:
The BAD
If you are looking for a cream puff, this isn’t it.
Both front wings are very beat up. the driver side (left) upper and front sections are decent, but the outer is pretty beat and is boarderline on whether it could be straightened. The passenger wing (right) needs both the outer and front sections replaced, but the top is decent. I have a pretty good used correct NAS white outer right wing and fender extension that goes with the truck.
The doors have zero rust or corrosion, but both lowers have dings on them. Don’t get me wrong, they are not wadded up or crushed, but not perfect either.
The bed sides are pretty straight, but they have both been trimmed off at the bottom behind the rear tires to get more clearance while rock crawling.
The frame is rust free and doesn’t appear to have ever seen salt, but it does have plenty of deep scrapes and dings from grinding over rocks.

The BAD Mechanically:
A/C doesn’t work. It is all there and complete, but the compressor is all but locked up, it is hard to turn by hand so it at least needs replaced.
Second gear syncro grinds if you shift too fast. I can shift it without grinding, but most people who have driven it over the years cannot. It does not jump out of gear though and all of the other gears are good.
Engine idles too low once warmed up, I’m sure it’s a stepper motor issue, but hasn’t been a priority since I haven’t driven it much in the last few years.
Check engine light comes and goes, never looked into it, but probably related to the idle problem.
Gas gauge doesn’t work, I figured when I put the new fuel pump/ sender in back in 2019 it would fix the gauge too, but it did not.
Steering box leaks. I have a spare low mile box I was going to put in that comes with the truck (not installed).
Truck has no sway bars. As it was mainly a trail truck for the last 15 or so years it needed the flex more than the anti-sway. I do have a set of used sway bars and brackets that come with.
Tires are at least 10 years old and I would not trust them on a long drive.
No radio (does have factory speakers)

MODIFICATIONS:
ARB air locker in front axle
Detroit locker in rear axle
4-5” lift kit with custom tube radius arms
Bilstein remote reservoir shocks all around
Spring location cones in the rear
Double Cardon driveshafts front and rear
Strengthened drag link
I was told it has Great Basin axle shafts on all four corners, although I didn’t install them and can’t confirm that they are or are not.
Custom front winch bumper (that I always hated the look of)
Heavy angle iron rock sliders
Custom mandrel bent air intake pipe and some sort of tuning chip that intercept the mass air flow sensor wiring.(not sure it is a good or bad thing, but it’s there)

The good:
The bulkhead and floors are rust free and straight
The rear door and spare tire carrier are in good condition.
Hood and grille are in good condition.
Alloy wheels are all nice and are not rashed up.
Interior is nice for a 27 year old truck, driver seat bottom has some wear , but presentable, passenger seat and rear bench are very good.
Have original owners manual, jack, and wheel chock.
Has stock exhaust with both converters intact.
Did I mention it has basically no rust!

If you are still reading, the truck is located in Lanesville, INDIANA, about 10 miles outside of Louisville Kentucky.The pictures I have aren’t the best, but I will try to get better ones tomorrow if the rain isn’t too bad. The truck also includes a full length roof rack that is in fair condition, a fiberglass hardtop, the original side step bars, and a bikini top. The soft top is in good condition with no rips or tears. The truck does start, run, and drive ok, but has old tires and probably should be trailered home, unless you live within a few miles. I would rather have a semi local buyer, or someone who comes with cash and a trailer. DM me if you are interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The doors have some rust at the back corners that I didn’t remember. They are not rotten though and are very solid, even where the paint is off. No bubbling on the door skins, although the skins aren’t exactly great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The foot wells are pretty good, but once I washed the mud off the bottom, the stiffener under the driver footwell has some rot starting in it. I tried to take a picture of the effected area.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Extras that come with if you want them. Have a right outer wing, sway bars, steering box, hard top, and roof rack. The rack is pretty rough, but usable. Also have step bars and a bikini top, but I need to find them, think they are in another building.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had several inquiries about the condition of the roll cage and it’s padding. The bar over the passenger door has rock rash towards the rear, as seen in two pictures. The padding is overall in good condition IMO, but does have some blemishes. The base at the left rear has a couple raggedy corners, the top rear bar has 3 gouges in it, the right cover from front to rear has a crack near the cross bar, and the base of the right front of the bed has a corner chunk missing. Overall it is pretty good for the age, but not perfect. I also found the step bars that go with the truck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’ve had tons of interest, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. It will definitely take the right buyer, it’s not for everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
I’ve had tons of interest, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. It will definitely take the right buyer, it’s not for everyone.
It should be for anyone interested in a solid defender. If i hadnt just bought a 110 youd have a wire pending already...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts