Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team:

I am considering sending my NAS 90 out to an expert to help me get my truck a little more up to date with a refreshed dash, new rear crossmember, electrical gremlins sorted and little more power from the engine. I have "most" of the ability to run some of this down, but frankly have no time to do it. Im in Western PA (Pittsburgh) and anyone in the mid-atlantic or northeast would be fine as I would need to ship the truck in its current non-running state anyways.

Who do you all recommend? I realize regardless of whom, there is probably a long wait time like everything in this day and age.

Thanks!

Reactions: Thedudeabides

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I am going to say that even if your time is limited, compare that to a shop with a long wait time.

Something really satisfying about DIY. Get to know some suppliers, Zach at RN comes to mind for this side of the pond. Farm out some of the work. Find a frame shop, order in a rear crossmember, and give them directions and talk about what you want. Dash refresh and electrical can be done at home with a little learning. More power? Talk to Uncle Doug, that 2.8 will get you going..

good luck

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to say that even if your time is limited, compare that to a shop with a long wait time.

Something really satisfying about DIY. Get to know some suppliers, Zach at RN comes to mind for this side of the pond. Farm out some of the work. Find a frame shop, order in a rear crossmember, and give them directions and talk about what you want. Dash refresh and electrical can be done at home with a little learning. More power? Talk to Uncle Doug, that 2.8 will get you going..

good luck
Appreciate it and yes, I too value the pride in a job done DIY. I have relationships with all the Rover parts places in the country and order frequently from all of them. I failed to mention, I have 9 Rovers currently and 7 of them need something. I started a little part-time used car business (d90autosales.com) and I only deal in our favorite trucks :)

The issue is Im full-time employed plus a few small businesses and I cant find any time to get any of these trucks sorted. My main goal is to get the trucks Im selling to customers fixed up and out the door so that I can fund the next one(s) coming inbound. So my personal truck here, Im willing to send out to not worry about it and feel like Im going to get it back better than its current condition. So - Im open to suggestions but also if nothing presents itself I would just keep it in the garage till I can find the time to dedicate to it in the next year.

Reactions: KGH

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bill Schofield in skippack PA. Does incredible work.
Hes mentioned in the forums. If cant find his info i will get that for you. Also in Pittsburgh for the summer before back to Florida.

·
Registered
740 Posts
It is a bit of a drive, but you should talk to Neil at RedDoor Offroad in Bechtelsville PA. Defenders are all he does, from basic maintenance to engine swaps to high end restorations. I was there last week, and as usually, he is very busy, so you may have to schedule your project.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
We have a lot of experience repairing frames in the NAS trucks, along with any other body work. I do not know how soon we could get into a job like this, but when we do, we can do it to a better than new standard, both in terms of the frame work and any body or interior restoration needed. That said, I hesitate to even advance our firm because we already have so many projects in process.

The NAS trucks, when done well, have very strong value. I suggest you look carefully at a restorer for someone who can enhance that value, rather than decrease it with marginal work. We are some hours from you in Springfield MA and have pickup and delivery if needed.

·
Premium Member
8,006 Posts
It is a bit of a drive, but you should talk to Neil at RedDoor Offroad in Bechtelsville PA. Defenders are all he does, from basic maintenance to engine swaps to high end restorations. I was there last week, and as usually, he is very busy, so you may have to schedule your project.
I 2nd this^^^. Solid shop and owner. I think their specialty is powertrain swaps and making land rovers right again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts