Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Original paint, engine, tickford top, manual trans - factory AC blows cold. 27,000 miles! Am selling because I can no longer work a clutch. Interior spotless, original rubber mats. Only modification is tuffy box with Sony stereo, incl. iPod cable. No curb rash on wheels. Recent tires. Serviced in August including new shocks, oil change, brakes bled. Clean carfax. New battery. Asking $61,150. Cash talks.

Ad in Hemmings dot com with photos.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
Good luck with the sale. Worth every penny with that low mileage, no diamond plate, and my favorite tickford.

Hopefully it is rust free.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
I didn't know what a defender was in 1994, but I would imagine it looked just like this off the factory floor, minus the tires. Shouldn't have any issue selling at that price, likely will be for sale again for 85K next week.
Best of luck with your sale.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY, it's a time warp. I bought it as a business vehicle, so I pay taxes over the depreciated value. Someone is going to get a good deal.

·
Premium Member
11,911 Posts
The business of awesome? Best I'm doing as a business vehicle is a ride on mower.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
trade you a beautiful low mileage '88 944 Turbo S silver rose for it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason I'm selling the truck is that I had a stroke and am partially paralyzed on my left side. I can work a clutch but it isn't any fun anymore. Your trade sounds really interesting, but I'm driving automatic transmissions for the rest of my life, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry to learn that health is separating you from your Rover...

Two things come to mind: you've got it priced correctly. I bought a 29k twin last fall for not a whole lot less... rust-free comes at an expense even more than low mileage.

Given how much you're likely to sell it for, though - and combined with your comment about it being a "business vehicle" - have you considered running the numbers to convert to automatic? If you're taxed in the thousands, perhaps for not a whole lot more you can make it work??

I would understand the difficulty of ingress/egress, so I apologize if I am touching a sore subject with my simplified solution. I don't mean to minimize your reasons for selling...

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
Agreed! We'd certainly prefer people who love these things to be able to keep them if possible. A low mileage manual gear box might be of value to someone here and really offset the swap!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I did the research and found a company that I thought was competent to convert it to automatic. They charge roughly $10,000 (could not get a firm estimate). I was ready to do this in spring, I had no problem with their wait list. The problem is they have a moron answering the phone and I couldn't get straight answers, even about when to ship the car to them. They were so bad about communications (never once received a return phone call or email) that I was afraid that I would ship the car to them and never see it again. So I abandoned the project.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I did the research and found a company that I thought was competent to convert it to automatic. They charge roughly $10,000 (could not get a firm estimate). I was ready to do this in spring, I had no problem with their wait list. The problem is they have a moron answering the phone and I couldn't get straight answers, even about when to ship the car to them. They were so bad about communications (never once received a return phone call or email) that I was afraid that I would ship the car to them and never see it again. So I abandoned the project.

I think these guys will get you started in the right direction if you would still entertain the project.

I'd keep and convert that truck, but that's just me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts