Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a red 1994 4.6L D90 I just don't drive enough ... 8 month old kid ... etc etc. Just dropped a new 4.6 into it and I'm not doing it justice. This D90 needs a owner who can drive the snot out of it. If I get the right buyer I might just sell it.

The 4.6 is a huge upgrade for anyone wanting an actual 5th gear. And if you live in California, you certainly want a 4.6 to take to into the Sierras.

Important notes:
1. 4.6 swap just completed in November 2011 by West Coast British. Has less than 100mi on it. 3.9 parts on top to deal with California "visual" inspection. New oil lines, radiator, starter etc. All work documented and the mechanic is top notch. Check out http://www.offroadexperience.com/wcb/
2. Trans also gutted, cleaned and serviced at same time. Added trans oil pump to maintain proper lube to gears. Toggle is located next to radio in the tuffy box.
3. Brand new ARB number and warn 8000 winch. Never been used. (makes me sad)
4. Brand new bilstiens and coils
5. Brand new Badger II top
6. New southdown axle, dif and steering skid plates (not installed, but your first project if you chose to buy)
7. Have some wheel spacers I never installed also avail
8. New CD+MP3+Ipod deck and sony speakers
9. New galv fasteners around
10. Pulled off tire rack and had it media blasted and powder coated ... not rust anymore
11. Tires have all their tread
12. Passed CA smog ... so will be good anywhere :)

The chassis has 108k+ miles ... again, the motor less than 100mi

The issues ... its a LR D90 so I would call this the "character" section:
1. Body wrinkle on the rear driver side panel behind the the wheel well. Pictures avail.
2. A/C needs to be recharged.
3. Sliding glass windows get a little sticky due to rubber vs. fabric channels
4. Need more miles to break

Asking $35,000 since this is essentially a new truck with all the engine, drivetrain and suspension work.

Videos:

Motor: http://youtu.be/_DQwgLLOFX8
Exterior/Interior/Start up/Exhaust note: http://youtu.be/tktx1tBSmZg

Posting more videos if interested.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It can run without the trans pump on just like any stock D90. Flick the pump on from time to time just to ensure the gears are getting proper lube. This is just an enhancement to extend the life of the trans.

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
I saw this truck in the shop while my CT110 was there can vouch that it is in great shape, made me drool. No affiliation with the seller just thought I would share my envy. I would buy this in a heart beat except: still paying for my CT110 :( new baby, new house, and oh yeah the wifey would literally hobble me, not kill me or leave me but cripple me so that I suffered everyday :)

------ Follow up post added January 10th, 2012 07:27 PM ------

Oh yeah the oil pump for the t case is a must if you done have the drilled in put gear, flick it on every so often makes the t case last forever

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Its a nice truck. Why bother with the pump? Wouldn't it have been easier to add the drilled input gear?

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
For me it was a toss up as I was having a new t case put in, I could have had my gear drilled or gotten a new one but the mechanics of this system allow for better lubrication than the drilled gear. Only catch is you have to remember to do turn it on, not a problem for me as I check gauges and switches constantly due to it being an older truck.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
El Solis, thanks for backing up my truck and explaining the t-case pump mod.

I think any defender rolling through WCB ends up with it. Mike, the mechanic is a rover guru. He actually popped a side off a t-case and capped with plexiglass to show LR the mechanical issue with the oil distribution.

At the time of the 4.6 swap we couldnt get a drilled gear. Either way i wouldve still added the pump. Its an easy cost effective insurance policy to extend the life of the drivetrain.

One last thing, I was all over your CT110 when I was at the shop. You def use that machine the right way.

·
Premium Member
16,553 Posts
I must say WCB did a much better 4.6 conversion than some of the dudes out here on the East Coast. One shop cuts holes throughout the entire hood for "proper" cooling. And from what I remember the guy's needle was still buried in the red.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WCB is legit. He does work on the Dali Lamas Discos.

It was a heavy job to convert, and I paid for all that heavy work. Lots of $$$ to do it right.

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
WCB is legit. He does work on the Dali Lamas Discos.

It was a heavy job to convert, and I paid for all that heavy work. Lots of $$$ to do it right.
Though I heard that WCB was told by the Dali Lama, instead of payment in the form of money, when he dies, on his deathbed, he will receive total consciousness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Blast from the past. Looks like that truck sold 9 years ago.
I bought it in 2015 with 54K mikes from a nice older lady who had it in her garage in Wilmington DE. She had all service done at the dealer but it had been sitting for a while which made for a nervous drive back to DC. Luckily, Independent Land Rover was walking distance to my home and they took care of everything. I'm doing more
and more stuff myself as I learn the ropes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts