Defender Source Forum banner

1992 ZA 110 projects

26K views 178 replies 30 participants last post by  izzy 
#1 ·

Figured I’d start a thread on this as I am going to do a number of projects on the 110 as it moves into daily driving status for me.

A rough list

LHD conversion + AC replace
Full exo cage
Holly sniper EFI
DUI distributor
New interior and seats

Maybe repaint

See less See more
#2 ·
All the rest of the LHD major parts on order, including the Webasto interior unit.. only 4 vents though the current setup has 6 but everything under the hood looks the same, but i may need new lines.. we will see there is i can redirect them from the RHD to LHD location - looks possible..

The LHD steering knuckle is on (thanks brewie for the knowledge and shop space to do it, i was clueless at points) I have an order in to Zack for a new heater box (part to replace plus rust repair = it just easier for me to order a new one.
HD steering and the rest of UD’s LHD list are either reclaimed or on order. So after the next event i’ll Pull it into the garage and start the tear down and replace.
The LHD lower dash was disassembled and only the top plat needs replacement - and the seal which is a score.. i thought for sure it was toast..
the parts covered by the AC wil stay and the rest is good. Some surface rust removal and paint and its done.
ARB headlight wiring harness and horn harness (not ARB) are here as well. So will go in hopefully i have enough in the budget for headlights but we will see how the spitronics system moves or doesn’t.

Spent the past 3 days with Tech support troubleshooting and finally have a decide to idle and no rev correction after drving it. About the best we can do with the hybrid system it is, all the maps are good. I’m probably going to finish the conversion then go right into the Sniper and DUI setup. I need something supported (the spit is a 10 yr old system and pretty simple but not supported any longer. They are doing me a favor at this point)

#4 ·
Thanks rob, I’m hoping the hardest bit will be the various lines that I have to get made up to move the fluids around.

Boxes have mostly arrived

And the dash parts are ready for touch up and install.

Still waiting on the ac in dash bits but looks like I can reuse all the engine side which is great.

#5 ·
Tearing into it now that everything has arrived.

I am really thinking I will go with a holly sniper and dui distributor on this one as well. The wiring for the fuel injection and most of the add-on stuff will have to be redone anyway.

The ac is out and once I fully pull the wiring harness it will be for sale.

Taking offers on it or trade for the above parts (sniper and dui hei distributor). It will come with the in cab components only. One vent is mugging out of 6 but looks like it is a davia one.

Good news is no real rust on the bulkhead esp where the clutch leaks normally and strips the paint.

I will be putting in a dormon SDO conversion to eliminate that

#10 ·
Doug, about that... there is a whole lot of ZA spitronics efi that is coming out... the wiring is down right scary. I got side tracked tonight making a plug for the bulkhead, removing the remainder of the ac, and ripping out wiring (it has a NL dual battery system that was not hooked up correctly, and a combiner/cutoff switch. I left the NL but removed the rest.

The current plan is to use a holly sniper, dui disti setup and dump the spitronics stuff.

I called their tech support and the guy was like... I’ll try but that unit is ancient....basically I can use one version of the tuning software, and it’s good luck from there. That’s enough to make me dump it.

They turned the plenum to route the throttle cable, it seems... I have no idea what they were thinking.

It’s a rebuilt 3.5 that runs strong though.

#11 ·

After a consult with Doug every thing is ready to cut out for the pedals... I have to move the steering wheel lug though.. and close the hole for the ac... borrowing a welder tomorrow.. should be interesting.

Ac wiring (sa system)

Gauge and heater wiring
https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/
20181106/3eb79492fb93aacb4f6303fd06249711.jpg

Working right to left
Tach
Temp gauge
Fuel gauge

Heater fan speed

Everything is marked now for the switch.

#15 ·
No-hand-drive!

The steering box is the last thing to be removed and then reverse assembly starts.

I’m going to finish raptor lining the wheel wells and paint some of the exposed bits black in the cabin. But probably wait on the engine compartment paint or just do a light job of it until phase 3 (new engine).

#18 ·
More removal as I start on the steering box and steering stuff in general.

Had to remove the modular bush guard, winch, and tray (all for sale) and extended nose.

Started on the steering, will be removing panhard rod and steering Sunday and the rhd box.

Then installing the lhd one and checking clearance with the headers. Hopefully I’m fine but may have to get them modified next week.

The mock up steering and move the bracket on the dash. And carry on

#20 ·
Header off, and the steering rough assembled today...

Waiting on disco HD steering rods to show up to finish the Lower side of the install. Then cut holes for the pedals and steering column stuff.

Ordered new gauges (VDO) for that part of it and started on the lower dash top panel which I’ll have to fab.

Just a couple of hundred things to do now but it’s coming together.

#21 ·
Pedals and steering are roughed in (brake and clutch are final fit, was checking for clearance and fit)

Next up is the accelerator pedal and the steering brackets... and a plate to hold them in.

Then raptor lining the bulkhead engine side and foot wells.

#22 ·
PITA projects... closing the old AC hole and making sure the steering brackets and gas pedal fit, I ended up using a 12g plate and panel bonding and riveting it in, since it’s not stressed.. 3 more small holes on the drivers side for the gas pedal and it’s done there. 2 more for the heater box and it’s done.

Raptor line and fit the reprofiled headers and it’s final assembly time for the LHD conversion.

Getting closer, holly sniper, and DUI distributor on the way here so that will start.

VDO gauges landed.

Kinda a bigger project than anticipated but it’s all good.

#25 ·
Interesting, my bulkhead was clean, no rust, and appears galvanized. And the footwells were rhino lined, which I am extending to get all of them (they only did the bottom portion of them.

Now that the headers fit and the heater is ready to go in I’m prepping to paint and raptor line the bulkhead. And start final assembly on the LHD conversion.

As you know it’s time consuming, I have a lot more than 20hrs in it, so be prepared. If I did it again it would take less time.

#26 ·
I have a lot more than 20hrs in it, so be prepared. If I did it again it would take less time.
Yes its a learning curve, @ this point we do the entire conversion including making the new brake lines over to the proportioning valve in sub 30 hrs. A perentie is a bit more involed and those take around 35 hrs.

#27 ·
Bulkhead painted, rhd pedal holes plated and sealed, heater hole cut (larger than stock).

Working on painting the clutch assembly and installing the dorman SDO conversion.

Starting final assembly...

Trying to figure out a water neck that will give me another 3/8 npt outlet for the dash gauge, the sniper uses the other one. And I can put in a dual sender for eventual use by the tecmotive water pump ecu.

#28 ·
Progress...

Steering, clutch (with SDO Dorman conversion), and brake pedal are in and not coming out.
All power steering lines are in as well.

Gas pedal and wipers go in tomorrow, and a clean of the dash before I start on the inside and the heater box.

The snorkel will go back on prior to the heater being installed.

Brake lines incoming, as well as the steering dampener relocation kit to go with the d1 drop arm and HD steering.

I’m going to finish up the lhd work then move to the sniper while I’m waiting on the DUI distributor.

ETA 2 weeks (hopefully)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.