Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya fellas,

As some of you may recall, I sold my prized NAS '97 SW when I moved to Germany a few months back. While I am still enjoying the 2015 D110 I'm renting, I need to buy a truck of my own. I have come across a pair of Defender 110's that I'm considering. Either truck is old enough that I'll be able to bring it back to the U.S. when I leave.

Truck #1: 1992 D110 with a 200 TDI
Truck #2: 1995 D110 with a 2.5 TDI

Anyone have thoughts regarding the reliability of one engine over the other? Any other big differences (if any) between '92 and '95?

Thanks for your input.

~Hans

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
200 Tdi/LT77 versus 300 Tdi/R380
Not a big difference, the last one being a little bit more quite. Both very reliable. (ok, for a Land Rover reliable:))

Just buy the best you can find. I would be more looking at rust issues. To my experience all Defenders from the 90's are prone to rust even more then earlier or later models. Back in 1995 when I lived in Europe, I bought my first new Defender. Land Rover replaced the entire car under warranty because of rust on the body and the frame.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "best I can find" is a brand new one. :) Just not willing to wait 25 year to bring it home.

·
Super Moderator
13,018 Posts
When you are talking about 20+ year old vehicles, it is much more about condition and vehicle history. How has it been taken care of? What major maintenance has been done?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you are talking about 20+ year old vehicles, it is much more about condition and vehicle history.
Of course. But I'm looking for something more - like improvements (to the chassis, body, electrical system, etc.) that may have occurred between the two year models - or a general opinion about the reliability of one engine over the other (assuming both engines received the same care).

·
Premium Member
10,773 Posts
If I was in your shoes, I'd take my time to find a good example. Rust free zones of Europe include southern Italy and Spain.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
But I'm looking for something more - like improvements (to the chassis, body, electrical system, etc.) that may have occurred between the two year models
The only changes that I know of for Defenders are:

1. 10 spline to 24 spline
2. Fold down windshield frame hinges to fixed
3. Bulkhead vents
4. Standard bonnet to TD5 bonnet to Puma bonnet
5. Early hinges to TD5 hinges
6. Pullup doors to pushbutton doors
7. Aluminum pushbutton to all-steel doors
8. Rear door went from three-piece skin to single skin galvanized steel.
9. Big dash change from original style to Puma
10. Ribbed roof to smooth roof
11. Rear tub mounts changed from original to td5 i believe.
12. Rear SW seat belt mounts changed a couple of times

others...?

·
Super Moderator
13,018 Posts
No improvements from. 200tdi era to 300tdi. In fact there are benefits to the earlier models. It is much more to do with vehicle condition.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Shopping is fun!

Still haven't found the right one Hans? Well half the fun is shopping for them! Good luck! Drew

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In fact there are benefits to the earlier models.
Now we're talkin'. Like what?

Still haven't found the right one Hans? Well half the fun is shopping for them! Good luck! Drew
Oh, I found the right one. Then I sold it to you. :p

Yeah, still looking for the right truck. I enjoy the 2015 I'm renting but I'm throwing a away a pile of money every month.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
And I thank you for your excellent judgement! lol! Loving every minute of it! Picture is just now. I drive it every chance I get. Selling the black '95 as I can't keep them all!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts