Defender Source Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 110 V8 RHD, Looking to do an LS conversion and LHD conversion. I am looking at a salvage USA 1994 discovery V8 automatic for $500, 160k miles and was a daily driver but blown head gasket now.
This would solve alot of parts problems and save me a bunch of $$ if the basic drivetrain and suspension package would interchange.
Dont care about the engine.. but ??
Is the TC case in these 1:2? vs the 1:4 in my 110.
Will the wheels and tires fit the 110?
Is the front diff a straight swap... pending a check on the gearing?
Will the steering box swap?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Mostly yes, you are better off swapping the whole disco front axle ie with radius arms under the 110 and then retrofit the 110 calipers.
The disco axle and steering components are a direct bolt in and yes the tcase would be a 1.2 lt230 but wouldnt have the crossdrilled input gear, you can buy that separately. Whether or not the wheels will fit your rear hubs depends on which wheels are on the disco. Your rear axle has big thick hubs and the different wheel designs have different reliefs cast into them.
Another bonus is that you need the D1 tcase frame side mounts for the LS conversion

·
Super Moderator
14,318 Posts
There are some downsides to the plan IMO.... The Discovery axles use a different hub design with narrower bearing spacing and thinner drive flanges. This is not quite as robust and you end up with a mismatch of parts front and rear. The axle internals are also weaker, although in either case, you really should be using 100% aftermarket internals with an LS engine. Lastly the radius arm design is worse off road, but better on road.

If it were me...I would fully rebuild the existing axle with aftermarket, strong internals. You should do that anyway as using a 23 year old used axle with stock parts is going to leave you stranded one day. You can also use the steering box from the Disco, but you are better off with a rebuilt one than a 23 year old one that could crap its guts tomorrow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Doug, As i'am converting the sals rear to defender 90 disc vented rotors with a forbyn kit, I could just keep the whole disco F axle ..boy that would save me a ton of time and money.Owner says he just did a full rotor, caliper brake job on the front. You said steering components, does that include the steering box?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are some downsides to the plan IMO.... The Discovery axles use a different hub design with narrower bearing spacing and thinner drive flanges. This is not quite as robust and you end up with a mismatch of parts front and rear. The axle internals are also weaker, although in either case, you really should be using 100% aftermarket internals with an LS engine. Lastly the radius arm design is worse off road, but better on road.

If it were me...I would fully rebuild the existing axle with aftermarket, strong internals. You should do that anyway as using a 23 year old used axle with stock parts is going to leave you stranded one day. You can also use the steering box from the Disco, but you are better off with a rebuilt one than a 23 year old one that could crap its guts tomorrow.

Points well taken John, I agree with new steering box, and rebuilding at some point the internals of the diff. Its the RHD to LHD drive iam still struggling with. Is the actual diff housing the same? Could I put my internals in the disco housing? Thus giving me all the LHD parts to bolt up including a sway bar.. as far as the radius arms , this truck will be stock height 90% on road and limited to dirt roads, mud, snow and light 4 wheeling. So maybe the diso radius arms are a better choice? thoughts ?

·
Super Moderator
14,318 Posts
The only difference between LHD and RHD axles is the swivel housing having the connection for the drag link on the front of the axle. The axle housings are unchanged. Your current axle probably does not have sway bar connections.

You can't swap internals due to the different hub bearing spacing. You "may" be able to swap over your internals plus hubs and stubs, keeping the Disco axle housing, swivels and swivel housings. At the same time, keep the Disco 24 spline diff (or put in a proper one...) and get some Ashcroft 23/24 spline halfshafts to let you keep the current CV joints. This gets you one step towards stronger.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only difference between LHD and RHD axles is the swivel housing having the connection for the drag link on the front of the axle. The axle housings are unchanged. Your current axle probably does not have sway bar connections.

You can't swap internals due to the different hub bearing spacing. You "may" be able to swap over your internals plus hubs and stubs, keeping the Disco axle housing, swivels and swivel housings. At the same time, keep the Disco 24 spline diff (or put in a proper one...) and get some Ashcroft 23/24 spline halfshafts to let you keep the current CV joints. This gets you one step towards stronger.
Thats what I was thinking is just gut the disco housing and build a new defender style with new defender hubs/stubs and swivels and a trutrac diff. Is that plausible?
So at that point Iam buying just a diff housing, all the diso stuff out the window...?

Yes, we have no sway bar mounts currently, and wanting to put a sway bar on.

Arrg.. so now this disco is only good for the diff housing,TC case,sway bar, wheels and tires and maybe some misc other stuff.
Might not be worth the trouble of getting it and then having to dispose of the corpse without any wheels to drag it on a trailer to junkyard.

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/d/land-rover/6474958703.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.