Defender Source Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the 110 back in July, driven about 10K so far. Been building it for a overland vehicle, with mild to somewhat serious off road capabilities. She has 162K on the odometer, 2.5TD. Runs fine, solid bones, frame is solid, panels are dinged and in rough shape...but this is fine for my intentions. Don't want to have to worry about paint or future dents, this area will be address someday, if a restoration is still in me. Suspension was modified with OME 2" lift and Bilstien shocks, rock sliders and trailing arms before purchase. Installed new radiator and hoses and a few other small mechanical stuff, but mostly been building/adding overland equipment/accessories.

The day she came home to meet her sisters.

Removed county stickers.

Started making roof rack, from old truckbed ladder rack. Just cut/removed old mounting legs and fabed up some drip-rail mounting brackets. Still more to be done at this point, but...it's on the roof at least.

Added snorkel and light bar.

Finished adding rear crossmember to rack and painted entire rack.

Installed plastic floor panels, normally used for chicken coup flooring.

Purchased a used bumper and brush guard, painted and installed. Had winch and lights from old Dll build, installed...but not wired yet.

Removed rear seats, for sleeping platform build. Going old school, work cabinet and platform. Already have received great help here on ideas and materials.

Installed center console gun vault...for a bit of security.

Installed HD drag-link and tie rod bar/ends.

Now, l've got to spend a day installing secondary battery and wiring up lights and winch. To cold to start sleeping platform and cabinet, but spring will be here before we know it.

Brian.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She's already made one 1000 mile run. No issues, ran flawlessly and got about 24 mpg.

Sleeping arrangements, pretty rudimentary...but confortable.

Stayed at the fabled Big Two Hearted River (for the Hemingway fans out there) campground. Defender was a huge hit, nearly everyone in the campground wanted to check her out. Defenders are pretty rare in Michigan.

No serious off roading this trip, siince there is no winch installed at this time. But, did hit one area that proved challenging enough. Followed a couple folks in a trail, where they turned off into a parking area...just before the trail got a bit challenging. Stopped too and asked about the trail. They said, it gets pretty rough and you'll never make it in that. Well, that's almost a challenge where l come from...so off we went. The old girl motored through the deep sand without fail. And yes, for one brief moment...l questioned my sanity. I'm quite sure they were expecting me, on foot, but l continued on along the lake Superior coastline...with a big old smile on my face.

This is the type of old school, wood cabinet, door panel and sleeping platform l'm looking to build.

Cute young chick, is an option l'd like...also...but the wife is not on board with this...lol.

Darn women anyway...

Brian.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does the 2.5TD do for your use?
Truth be told...it's fine for my needs. Yes, isn't a powerhouse by any means. But, I'm in no hurry anyway. Actually, I'll have a better feel for it...once the interior is built (cabinet and sleeping platform).

·
Registered
4 Posts
What happened to the roof rack? looked great but not in later pics? Looking for same brush guard and roof rack for my '80 110.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those last pictures were from a trip I did before the rack and bumper was installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts